Chapter Twenty-Two

Katy clung tightly to the rocks, her fingers growing numb with cold. The rain slashed against her ceaselessly and the wind howled around her. The waves battered the rocks below; the roar of them echoing louder in her ears with every minute that passed. She didn't dare move any further; the cliff face was too slippery to get a hold on and the ocean below seemed to scream her name, as if waiting for her to fall into its icy clutches. Katy was a strong swimmer, but even she knew she was not good enough to fight the relentless angry ocean on a cold stormy night.

She gripped the rock tightly, her feet precariously balanced on a tiny wet ledge. Tears ran down her face and she prayed harder than she ever had in her life. She prayed to God, Jesus and her mother. She begged for someone to help her, and promised she would never disrespect her father again, if only someone would rescue her.

Katy didn't want to die.

It seemed like hours she spent hanging onto the rock face, hours alone, pleading with an invisible God, but in reality it was less than half hour before she saw the lights and heard the rescue helicopter hovering above her. She cried grateful tears as she watched a man carefully get winched down next to her and as he strapped her in to the safety harness, she sobbed her thanks.

Kate cried again when her father arrived at the hospital. He climbed on the bed and gathered his sobbing child in his arms and hugged her tightly. She clung to him and wept against his chest.

"I thought I was going to die, Daddy. I didn't mean to get stuck out there; I didn't know what to do other than climb up the cliff then I couldn't go any further."

"It's ok now, baby, you're safe. Someone saw you and called the coast guard," he soothed, rocking her in his arms.

"I'm sorry for the nasty things I said, Daddy," she cried.

He smiled, and wiped the tears from his eyes. "I'm sorry for being an asshole."

"I'm tired of hating you," she whispered. "I love you, Dad." Gradually her sobs subsided and she fell asleep in his arms.

He had been so scared when the police arrived to escort him to the hospital. The officers wouldn't tell him anything, except that Kate had been rescued by the coast guard and was currently on her way to Newquay Hospital. All the way there, Greg prayed she would be ok. He had lost too many people and he could not imagine how bleak his life would become if he lost Katy too. He tortured himself with thoughts of what if and gnawed on his finger nails.

"You can't have her, Alyssa," he whispered, fiercely, as he stared blindly out the police car window.

He thought he would crumple to the floor with relief when the doctor told him she was being treated for mild hypothermia, but on the whole she was just fine. They would keep her in overnight and in all probability she would be allowed home the next afternoon. She had been sleeping when he had been taken to her, and he had sat by her bedside ever since. Outside, he knew Tony waited too.

Greg rose and stepped out to beckon Tony in. His place was with her too, Greg had no right nor any wish to deny it anymore. He had been selfish and proud for too long. Together, the two men watched over their daughter Kate.

"Is Tony really staying with us?" Kate asked Greg the next morning when Tony had slipped away to get them both a coffee. Kate was sitting up in her hospital bed; she looked wan and tired but otherwise she seemed fine.

"Yes, Kate, he's going to stay for a few weeks."

"He’s staying at the Chy, with us?"

"Yes Kate. I invited him. Your outburst last night gave me a few home truths that I needed. He's missed you and I know you've missed him too so he’s staying with us."

"Thanks, Dad," she whispered.

"You don't need to thank me, baby, I'm sorry I've been a self-pitying twat."

She laughed and covered his hand with hers. "Dad, can we find out who called the coast guard and do something nice for them?"

"That's a lovely idea, of course we will."

"Thanks, Dad," she said, sighing. "They saved my life."

"Mine too," he said, seriously. "Kate?"

"Yes, Dad?"

"Can I book a salon appointment and have your bloody hair sorted out?"

"Yes, please,” she said, giggling.

Gently, he squeezed her hand and thanked God she was ok.