Chapter Twenty

Author's note - In the interest of the story there are a couple of uses of the 'f' word in this chapter. I apologise if this causes offence, but I believe it necessary for the emotional outburst to be conveyed properly.

Greg put the last box of photos and documents that he had brought down from the attic and placed it on his desk. In all there were four boxes to go through. Greg was looking for photos to send to his publisher for his book. So far he had got twenty-five but they wanted a selection of at least a hundred to choose from.

Greg poured himself a brandy and began to rifle through the first box. It was mostly paperwork relating to PenKeren Fisheries and a few corporate photographs. There were property deeds and PenKeren company newsletters, but none of it was any good for his book. The second box was full of files still in their folders. With a disappointed sigh Greg lifted the last of them out and his face broke into a smile at the sight of the silver framed photo at the bottom of the box.

It was a strangely formal picture of a teenager dressed up for a night out. Grace's long honey coloured hair was crimped and she wore a blue jersey dress over black leggings. Her turquoise eyes were framed by heavy kohl and her lips were glossed. It was so eighties he couldn't help but smile. If she was still alive she would be embarrassed by the photo; however, Greg thought she looked beautiful. It was probably one of the last photos she had ever posed for.

Greg had noticed that in all of the pictures Grace had sat for she looked uncomfortable and nervous. The only photos that captured a true image of Grace were the ones that were taken unawares. Tenderly he stroked the worried smile and sighed.

"Oh, Grace, if only things had been different."

Charlie lounged in the doorway and said, "You’re talking to yourself again, buddy.”

"It seems that way," Greg agreed, with a sad smile. "Would you like a drink?"

"Go on then. I'll make them though, you look busy."

Charlie poured them both a drink while Greg cleared things back into the box and they sat down in front of the fireplace.

"My divorce came through this morning" Charlie said, after a moment or two of comfortable silence.

"That was quick."

"There was no point dragging it out. She gets half of everything and a face lift. I get to move on with Lulu."

"You've taken it better than I did."

"You weren't expecting it when it happened to you, buddy. I knew a long time ago, from the straightness of her teeth and the lack of orthodontist bills that she was paying for it some other way. Besides you didn't have a woman like Lulu to show you what you'd been missing out on for years. I thank God and you for that dame."

"No need to thank me, just don't go stealing her away from the Chy."

Charlie chuckled. "Actually, I wanted to talk to you about that."

Greg groaned, playfully. "Ah man, don't tell me you've changed your mind and you're high tailing it back to New York with my housekeeper?"

"Sorry, buddy, but yes." He laughed heartily when Greg's face fell. "Don't worry; it's only for six weeks, just for our honeymoon. I'm going to ask her to marry me…I’m going to ask her this weekend."

Greg held his glass up to his friend. "Congratulations, Charlie; here's hoping she says yes."

"I never even considered the possibility she'll say no," Charlie said, sighing, crestfallen.

"I was teasing you, she'll say yes. Listen, Charlie, I was thinking one of those other outbuildings, done up and made pretty, would make a lovely home for a newly-wed couple."