Shane took a step closer to Camden as the tension left her shoulders, replaced by what could only be grief. He reached for her hand, intertwining their fingers. Camden inhaled deeply and turned her tear-stained face to Shane.

"I stopped saving myself for you that night." Her voice sounded hollow. "I stopped waiting...gave it up to Rob Harris since it was no longer important," she murmured.

Shane's chest constricted and he felt a fierce wave of nausea. He couldn't help the low growl that escaped his throat. What had he done?

"The worst part?" Camden whispered. "I thought of you the whole time. I threw up after, and I spent the night sobbing, alone in my own bed." She paused. "But at least you had Heather to keep you warm that night." The betrayal was thick in her voice.

Shane pulled Camden tightly into his embrace. He peppered her face with kisses, as he chanted, "I'm sorry" repeatedly. After several minutes had passed, he cleared his throat and spoke.

"This was only my second time." He gestured toward the air mattress with his head. His hands were still twined with hers, and she felt his grip tighten as his cheeks flushed in embarrassment. Camden's eyes widened.

"What about..." He cut her off.

"You weren't the only one who had waited."

"You mean Heather? At my graduation party? Nothing..."

He interrupted once again. "NOTHING happened with her, or any of the girls in high school." Shane's stomach was in knots. Inexperience was not something guys tended to brag about.

"And last night?" Camden asked. Shane looked utterly confused. "Stella?" she prompted. Shane choked for a moment.

"Uhhh," he started awkwardly. "That wasn't me." Camden raised a skeptical brow. "That was Brody," Shane confessed.

"What?!" Camden squealed. "But I thought he was with Tiffany???"

Shane rubbed his hand on the back of his neck in discomfort. "Yeah....about that. You see, hespnlsntwthbthgrls," he mumbled.

"What?" Camden prompted.

"He spent last night with both girls," Shane choked out.

Camden was thoroughly mortified by the new visual forever implanted in her head. NO sister should ever have those kinds of mental pictures involving her brother. But as nauseated as the thought of Brody having sex with Tiffany and Stella made her, the overriding feeling in her heart was relief.

Releasing one of Camden's hands, Shane used his now free hand to tip her chin towards him. He wanted her to see the sincerity in his eyes.

"I knew I made a mistake the moment you left your party with Rob. I wanted to fix it, but I thought the damage was done. Once I got to the sandbox, I felt your absence even more." His eyes begged her to understand. "You don't know how much I looked forward to your care packages during my first tour, Sunshine. To know you were healthy and happy back home...that made it all worthwhile. During my second tour, I was constantly worrying about you. No one knew where you were or how you were doing." Shane tugged Camden into his chest and hugged her as tightly as possible. Releasing her, his hand returned to her chin.

"When I came home on my first leave, you still weren't back. I didn't tell Brody, but I went searching for you. He thought I was visiting my cousin, but I drove all over the state. Any place you ever mentioned with fondness, I was there with your picture trying to track you down." Shane could see the shock in Camden's eyes.

"When my two weeks were up, I headed back to Afghanistan empty inside. I knew I'd lost you, but I didn't give up. Every leave, I searched for you. After two years, your family still had no idea where you were, and I was trying to come to terms with the fact that I had made the biggest mistake of my life. I had just made it back to Afghanistan for the last part of my service when I met a girl on our base that reminded me of you." Shane swallowed uncomfortably as he saw understanding dawn slowly in Camden's moist green gaze.