Day Two

Peridot's perspective
I slide into my seat in advisory period just as the bell rings. Others are still filing in, movements sluggish and sleepy.
My seat is near the back of the classroom. It's kinda nice, because I get a full view of most of the room. It makes me feel almost like a king surveying their kingdom.
I pull out an old book of mine and reread it for what feels like the millionth time. Despite having read it so many times, I never tire of reading it.
I plunge myself into the story until the bell to end advisory period rings.

I snap my book shut, not bothering to mark my place, and head off to first period. English.
I take my place next to an empty seat. Lapis is probably late, knowing her.
While our teacher takes attendance, a bedraggled Lapis Lazuli bursts into the room, breathing heavily.
"Sorry." She mumbles. Ms. Dia gives her a disapproving stare as she takes her seat next to me.
I don't bother to ask why she's late. She's bound to have a false excuse up her sleeve.

As Ms. Dia rambles on, her words so swiftly flowing from the book report to the actual lesson, that I can barely keep up.
For a split second, not wanting to miss anything important, I steal a glance at Lapis. She has her arms crossed in front of her, eyes downcast, looking at....
A book. The one I lent her.
Of all the things that can be expected of Lapis Lazuli, this is not one of them.
I suppose this book is her sort of refuge. A temporary shelter from whatever is troubling her at the moment.
She has this sort of fascinated glow to her that I never noticed before.
Her milky blue eyes are alight with rays of sunny happiness. Her tired, overworked, features look a little less exhausted, and more alive.
I can almost feel that glow radiating off of her and infecting me.
I look away, not wanting to disturb her literature induced moment of joy.

. . .

When the class ends, I manage to catch Lapis as she's leaving the classroom.
"Are you liking White Servant so far?"
I can see the small spark of happiness in her eyes.
"Yeah." She says.
I don't get the chance to say anything else to her before we are both swept away by the surging crowd.

Lapis Lazuli's perspective
For the moment, this book is my medicine.
It cures my hazy numbness, even if temporarily.
So, for a few minutes, numbness has no grip on me, and the happiness of having someone to relate to can take hold.
I know this won't last long, but at least I can enjoy it while it lasts.
As happiness slackens it's grip on me, the dread of having to swim next period sets in.
Swimming means water.
Water means fear.
Swimming also means looking like an idiot in front of my classmates.
Before my parents drowned, I used to swim. Heck, I even used to be on my local swim team.
But afterwards, when everything inside of me was screaming from the pain of grief, those voices only clouded my mind even more when I went near water.
From that day forward, I avoided large bodies of water as much as I could.
I take slow, calculated steps, desperately clinging to the hopeless idea that maybe I would not have to swim.
Despite my hopes, I reach the door to the girl's locker room.
Slowly, I push the door open.

Coach Aquamarine hands me a bathing suit with the school logo on it. It's a one-piece in a dark blue, almost black color.

I pull on the bathing suit. It's tight and stretched out against my skin, but at least it's not too small on me.
I yank my gym shirt and athletic shorts over the bathing suit, and wait until Coach Aquamarine yells at us to go out.
Excited whispers drift through the air around me. I pull my shirt down over my shorts, and shuffle along with the crowd.

The swimming pool itself is perfectly pristine, it's crystalline waters untainted by ripples.
"Sit down on the benches!" The coach yells at us.
We scramble to find a place, and many of us wind up squished up against one another.
"Who here knows how to swim?" Coach demands.
Everyone except for me and two others raise their hands.
A small dose of relief floods my veins. At least I'm not the only one.
"Those of you who do not know how to swim, pair up with someone who does."
Great.
The two who cannot swim, Pearl and Andradite, instantly pair up with their friends.

"Hey, Lazuli," a voice calls to me from the other end of the metal benches. Peridot waves at me.
I rush to the other end, desperate not to be awkwardly paired with someone by the coach.

I squeeze myself in next to Peridot.
I guess she's my go-to for a pair now that we know each other. Sort of.

"Okay! So today is just an intro to swimming. You'll learn a little about it's history, the different basic strokes, and proper technique." Coach Aquamarine shouts, "you will also practice all proper safety procedures, and if you do not, I will not hesitate to give out a detention."
She begins to assign lanes to everyone.
"Lapis, Peridot, you'll be in lane one."
The shallowest portion of the pool.
"Now, line up where I've assigned you!"
Robotically, I make my way over to lane one. The only thing I am aware of is my trembling body, and the water.
The endless, suffocating darkness.
I can't breathe. I can't think.
Survive. The others didn't.
The bubbles leave my lips, the last breaths of life slipping away from me....
No. This is different. This is no ocean, no choppy gray waters, no waves slashing the shore. Only clear, chlorinated water.
My slightly hazy vision comes more into focus. I steady my staggering steps.
Breathe.
"Are you alright, Lazuli?" Peridot looks genuinely concerned.
I take a deep, shuddering, breath.
"Yeah." I squeak.
Peridot's eyes search me. She knows it's not really okay.
Finding nothing to be concerned about, she shrugs.
We're the first in line for our lane. The others are already getting used to the cool water, or attempting to swim.
Peridot slips into the water, barely making a splash.
I stand at the edge.
The four foot depth suddenly seems much deeper.
My heart climbs into my throat.
A shiver courses through me. I can't do this. I can't do this.
Static appears at the edge of my vision. The haziness returns.
I hear the others in line grumbling and complaining, which doesn't help.
"Lazuli...." Peridot.
Her voice rises above the static.
Everything starts to focus a little more.
This is not a place where people are supposed to die. It's a place where they swim.
I hear shouts. They are not shouts of fear, but of happiness.
"Lazuli, it's alright. I won't hurt you. Neither will the water."
I steady my uneven breathing.
She understands. She knows something happened that I won't talk about.
"It's okay. Just take my hand.... and inch yourself in."
I nod. I can do this.
I grip her hand.
The dizzying depth still makes my heart speed up.
I swallow. I put one leg over the edge, into the water, then the other.
The water gladly embraces me in it's ribbony folds.
I force my nerves down.
All at once, I push myself over the edge.
The water chills my skin. It is strange, but not unpleasant.
I haven't felt the sensation of being in water in over a year.
I laugh out loud. A grin spreads across my face.
I did it.
Thrill envelopes me. I am careful to keep my arms and head above the water.
Peridot smiles.
"It's great, isn't it?"
I can only nod. I have no words.
I did it.

Peridot's perspective
I watch Lapis as her eyes light up with a mixture of wonder and thrill. The early morning sun glints off of her caramel-colored skin. I feel the childlike wonder radiate off her, causing my mouth to twitch into a grin.
She looks at me, and in that moment, I know the definition of beauty.
Her inner light shines through her features, which no longer seem sagging or tired.
"Hey, lovebirds!" A gravelly, yet feminine voice interrupts my admiration.
Amethyst is grinning from ear to ear.
Blood rushes to my face as I turn to her.
Amethyst gestures to Coach Aquamarine, who has gathered the other students in the center of the pool.
"Oh!" I gasp.
I half-swim, half bounce over to the cluster of people.

Coach shoots us a glare. I half-smile apologetically.

"Tomorrow, we'll go more in depth on the strokes, and their history. Now, head back. We have towels in the locker room."

I'm almost sad when I exit the locker room, and Lapis and I part ways.