"Oh no you don't," he whispered.

"Josh!" Bree squealed as she smiled and danced towards him. Devon knew Bree well and didn't miss the quick tightening of her lips as she saw Josh's hand on Devon's arm, but the look was gone so quickly and she doubted anyone else noted it.

"Bree," Josh greeted calmly as he received her small body when it was hurled against him. He was forced to catch her, releasing Devon, who took the advantage to turn and get a good look at him, and she couldn't stop staring. He was beautiful, the years had added an edge to him. A maturity and self-assuredness that had always been hinted at in their youth.

All of the girls in school had been jealous that she knew him so well and a few of her so-called friendships had only been girls trying to get close to Josh. That, coupled with Bree's penchant for stealing her boyfriends, had sometimes made her wonder how she had survived her youth and been left with any self-confidence at all.

Josh was wearing a beautifully cut grey suit with a narrow grey tie that matched his eyes. He was clean-shaven but there was a bit of a shadow on his jaw and, even though Hal was tall, Josh towered over him, but where Hal was lean Josh was all muscle. His dark hair was cropped short, just a little bit longer than a buzz cut which made his strong jaw look like granite.

When he received Bree in his arms she looked small and delicate, something that at a statuesque 5'8" Devon would never be. Where Bree had the perfect head of blond locks, Devon had deep auburn hair that was more red than brown and the pale and freckled skin tone that went with it. Devon rarely had issues with her looks, in fact, she thought she was fairly good looking, but when placed next to her perfect little sister she felt like a bumbling giant.

"I'm so glad you made it, Josh. Your parents said you would be here, but I was so worried you wouldn't." Bree was still in Josh's arms, having forgotten all about her future husband standing behind her, waiting.

"Hal, this is Josh McIntire, Jenny and James's son. He grew up with me and Bree," Devon said by way of explanation, but she didn't think he heard her since all of his attention was fixed on Bree and Josh.

When Devon mentioned Hal's name Bree gave a little frown as if she had just been reminded of something unpleasant. Pushing away from Josh, her perfect happy smile in place, she reached for Hal. "So Josh, what do you think of my Hal?"

"Hard to tell since we've only just met, but I've heard only good things." Josh held out his hand and Hal took it, his concern easing into a smile as Josh turned on the charm. Devon masked a snort with a sip of champagne.

Someone called out to the happy couple from across the room and with the promise of catching-up later, Bree turned and moved towards the young pair who was beckoning them.

"You can still charm the bees right out of their hive Josh McIntire." Devon shook her head draining her glass.

He gave her the wicked grin she remembered so well and then took her arm again. "I'm starving, where's the food?"

"It's crap," Devon said, still a bit churlish about Bree being able to throw herself in Josh's arms. All she had gotten was a whisper and a touch.

Josh studied her for a moment. "Are you drunk?"

"No, not yet, but I've had enough to kill my brain to mouth filter." Devon reached for another glass from a passing waiter.

"Do you want to be?" Josh asked with an amused smile.

"God yes," she groaned, and she wanted to be. She wanted to get good and smashed, and who better to do it with than her old trusted friend Josh.

"That bad?" His voice still sounded amused.