Once every boy was with a pair Dominic nodded, he liked who the boys had as their foster parents, all were some of his best warriors but they were also some of Dominic’s most gentle and caring men. The women were just as important, all were strong willed and wouldn’t put up with too many bad habits but they would also care for the boys as if they had given birth to them.

“Susan would like to give them all a physical and have their wings looked at, while that is happening Alanna would like chat to you.” Dominic explained.

Everyone nodded and herded the boys to the clinic and to Susan’s rooms with all her devices. Everyone had snuck a peak at Susan’s rooms when she wasn’t around and everything that was in it. They didn’t know what the devices did or how they worked, but from the few people the devices had been used on, they were welcome.

“Okay boys come with me… John… can you come and look at their wings.” Susan said as she spotted one of Ken’s healers, together they ushered the boys into the room and closed the door.

“What happened to them?” A man asked.

“Sage said they were abused… what kind?” The woman beside the man added.

“Nhai, Viola… ” Dominic said mainly for Alanna’s benefit so that she would know the people around her.

“The worst kind of abuse,” Alanna said finally answering their question.

“Those responsible are being castrated and banished. They won’t have an easy time as outcasts… all are inactive warriors.” Dominic said quickly to diffuse the outrage, already the foster parents considered the boys as being theirs and harm on them HAD to be dealt with.

Dominic waited until the new parents calmed, “for the next two weeks you are all relieved of your duties, Alanna would like you to use that time to gain the boys trust.” Dominic said before he turned to Alanna.

“Okay, there are things I need you to be aware of when you deal with the boys. Be firm with them but be fair, set simple rules that you both are comfortable with.” Alanna started.

“Surely what the boys need is tender loving care,” a woman said.

“Kayla,” Dominic supplied to Alanna.

“Kayla these boys have been conditioned to obey and to not think for themselves. Being firm but fair will allow them to think and to reason, to unlearn what they were conditioned to do in the Ward. By setting rules you are telling them instantly what you consider correct behaviour.” Alanna explained.

“What kind of rules?” A new man said.

“Gill,” Dominic again supplied.

“Keep them simple, when you ask a question he must answer it. He must make his bed and keep his room tidy.” Alanna supplied.

“Surely we can keep his room clean and make his bed,” Gill’s mate said.

“Actually… no you can’t,” Alanna said firmly, “see their room is their private space, their sanctuary. They have to know that they are in control of that space. Always ask for permission to enter, the men should never go in their rooms without their mate present and even then you shouldn’t go more than two steps into the room.”

“Alanna speaks the truth,” Jewel added, “I didn’t like people coming into my room for a very long time.”

“But you also need them to know there are consequences for not following the rules, striking however isn’t going to work, deny them something they like to do.” Alanna continued with a small smile at Jewel. “Now at meals you have to let them know it is okay not to finish everything, and don’t be surprised if they try to hoard food.”