Chapter Four: Ibuna, the Dayang of Amiling

The horizons overhead were ashen gray. Without a doubt, there would be a heavy downpour later on; these cloudy skies reminded me of what the village used to look like some moons ago during sullen, rainy afternoons. Nevertheless, this weather was not the type of reason that could stop me from accomplishing my tasks for the day. Nothing could stop me now. How could I still afford to dilly-dally, when I knew that my people lived in such an excruciating misery every day? The Elders' council was oh so quiet after the most recent ambush to our village, and the babaylans crooned their ritual songs to the lunar goddess from sun up until midnight.

         Ha. As if these kind of actions can change the mind of the goddess. Amiyan had informed me that the spirits had discontinued sending messages ever since the day that my husband's stiff and lifeless body was returned to the village for a proper burial rite. Haliya probably gave up on us and had no longer plans on delivering us from the mess we mortals got ourselves into. The worst part was, no one was chosen to become the Bulan's vessel after Daguhay's last perilous battle. And being quiet about the dire situation of our impending defeat against the Bakunaua and her plaguing army was absolutely getting on my nerves.

       Sighing heavily, I held my breath as I saw my husband's collection of kalasag hanging on the walls of our hut. It had been four moons, and all my longing for his return had been heart-wrenching.

       Daguhay, my love... Was the burden of the lunar kampilan too much? How I wished I could have shared the agony of it... That I could have been with you when you needed me the most...

Too late, was it?

       My lord Daguhay's shields were polished and well-maintained as I had constantly wiped it clean for him. My heart waited for his return and that I believed that all of this was just another nightmare and that the one whom I loved the most will come back home to me. Oh, if only women were allowed to wield Bulan and harness its powers... I would have not let him face this dilemma all alone. Since that day we burned his remains, I was reluctant to part with his ashes and refused to bring it to the Cave of Life and Death at the foot of Mount Kalumay. Despite my muddled faith towards the gods and goddesses' compassion, there was always a part of me wishing they could hear my prayers... Or my people's at the very least.

       On top of the table near the windows were my husband's clothes which he wore when he met his demise. Neatly folded and piled on top of one another, I knelt as I reached out to it, lightly tracing my fingers on the embroidered animal designs on these cloths I held. It was my present to him on his first hunt.

I wanted to scream his name; I wanted to call out to the gods and goddesses for them to return him to me. I wanted to see him again!

        But what was expected of me as the dayang, now the queen and the only one born with the royal blood of Amiling who was still breathing amidst all this chaos? Of course I was asked to stand and wait. Despite me being a woman, I wished and wished that I could have been the one to take the Bulan instead of my ailing husband that night. If only the goddess' will was not absolute, I could have had fought for it. I did. But when the elders just asked me to stay out of the lunar goddess' affairs, was also the time I regret every single day. If only I fought for Daguhay's safety I could have defended him. But now everything is done, his life is gone.

       Ah they call me Dayang Ibuna. Although maybe I should drop the royalty game, I was no longer a protected princess inside a shell. This was not the time to show any weakness and tonight determines what my fate would be. I had to be prepared no matter what the goddess plans for me and my people. This time I will fight for what is rightfully mine.

The power to fight for those that needs protection.

-------------------------------------

A/N:

Hi hi hi~ I am pretty much so late with updates, was really busy with work and everyday tasks, but I plan to catch up this week! I planned to be writing more about Ibuna's feelings and views of her situations for this chapter and the next until we find out if Haliya would allow her to wield the lunar kampilan!

Thanks so much for reading <3

- Cliche