Game Changer part 3

Alden walks back to his room at the 7th floor. This was a different side of Maine,: fierce and angry. He can take all of that, but he is scared that this might end up with her being ready to walk away. After all, Maine has returned the ring, which was not quite an engagement ring, but his promise of forever with her. That future seems moot after seeing her. All of this is on his mind as he goes through the motions of showering and getting ready for bed.

Sleep eludes him. Alden ends up just lying on his king sized bed, waiting for his peace.

*

"Hindi ba masyadong harsh ka, Maine?" Ate Niki, asks. Their room is pitch black. And she can sense that her youngest sister is silently crying. Their airplane ride was mostly silent, with Maine teary eyed, holding her hand. "Alden would not have flown out here if he did not want to make things right."

"But I don't feel happy, Ate. When I see him, all I have is resentment and pain. Kinailangan pang umabot sa ganito...." Maine stops, wiping her tears with the back of her hand.

"Umabot sa alin?"

"Sa pag-soli ng singsing."

"Diyos ko naman Maine, bakit naman kelangan me solian? Di ba pwedeng pag usapan na lang muna? That's too much. I agree that he needs to give you his time and energy Pero ano, ayaw mo na? Aawayan mo na sya ng ganun lang? 3 years of your life will end ? I know you are hurting, but you can make it work. Mukhang di na nakahinga simula kahapon si Alden. Tiningnan mo ba sya, Meng? His face is hollow at parang bungo na nga mukha nya ha. Halos maiyak na nga daw ke Coleen sa pagtatanong kung asan ka. Tapos nag text si Mama Ten, pina-cancel nya lahat ng appearances indefinitely. Nabubuang na sila nila Leysam .Kahit mawalan na daw ng trabaho , Alden doesn't care na. "

"Pero Ate, pano naman ako? Ako na lang ba lagi mag- give way?"

"Hindi sa ganun, Maine. Ask yourself : Do you love him? And what do you want really? A break or a break up?"

" I do love him. But I don't know what I want right now. Kasi masakit pa din. Kanina gusto ko syang suntokin nung nalaman ko na andito sya. "

"Let him at least talk to you and try. If you end up being together, there should always be someone who will try. Yung di ka nawawalan ng pag-asa sa inyo. At siguro mabuti pang itulog mo yan. So your head clears and you can think more rationally. Baka kung ano ano pa maisip mo."

*

Alden's eyes fly open upon hearing the ringtone. Her special ringtone. He scrambles to sit up and grabs the mobile phone which he had next to him. He mumbles a sleepy hello.

"Hi. Did I wake you?" , Maine asks softly.

"Oo, but it's okay. Listen, can I come over na?

"I am right outside your door."

Alden jolts out of his bed. "Shit, sorry, I am coming, have you been knocking? "... He opens the door and is greeted by her. It didn't seem like she had any sleep as well

Maine disconnects the call. "Sorry, I didn't know I'd end up here. Ate mentioned that you messaged her your room number."

"No, no, no, kahit kelan ok lang . Give me 3 minutes to brush my teeth".

So typical of him, Maine thinks. And she sits on his bed.

When Alden comes out, brows furrowed, palms all sweaty, he sits across her. "I am sorry. I love you. Please, please tell me I can fix this."

"Pinagisipan ko yan. Actually, gumawa ako ng Pros and Cons list. ". Alden is relieved that she does not sound angry. Bossy, yes, but he will take a bossy Maine anytime.

"Please tell me mas madaming Pros. And that you will let me fix the Cons."

"You need to cut back, you need to be proactive in saying NO to projects and whatever it is being offered to you that you do not want. Not because I selfishly want your time.. Pero sana naman yung me oras ka din for you. Hindi ka robot. Your family is okay and stable. You need to slow down for your sake more than mine."

"Yes , yes, I know that now. Anything for you, love. Anything." Alden's voice breaks. He takes her hand on his, kissing her palm.

"It's a long list. But I have an important condition." Maine now looks at him intensely.

"Anything."

"You need to marry me."

*

That Sunday, at Botega Marina, with the blessing of her parents and in front of their family and very, very few close friends, Alden formally proposes to Maine.

*******
fin

A/N: Hello! Thank you for reading. I really had no idea what direction this would go. I literally wrote it to inflict pain to myself (LOL). But the KS FaceTime episode kind of inspired me to fix things kesa wasakin ko ang puso ko. :D

I didn't proof read, so if you see any errors, please let me know.

Original pic credit to Alden Richards's IG.