Chapter Two: Making Mistakes

Crossroads Bar wasn't much; in fact, it was pretty much shit. But it payed well, I think mostly because of where it was in LA. The shittiest most dangerous part of town, and Crossroads made a living being a don't-ask-don't-tell situation. I turned blind eyes to everything, and if I kept the top two buttons of my blouse undone, I got tipped well. Bartending was easy, and it was dirty and grimy, but I needed the money, especially after what happened to my parents.

It was scariest at night, though.

We closed at two AM every day, and opened at noon. The day wasn't so bad, but the night... That's when it got bad. I always kept one hand on my glock after eleven, and I had become a little itchy to grab for it after the shit I'd seen in here.

What was supposed to be the lunch shift turned into an all night shift after I got to work that day, which made me uneasy. The longer I worked, the more tired I got, the shittier my aim became.

I did my work and kept my mouth shut all day, letting myself think and wander. Bryson was gonna pick me up tonight after I got off, and I intended to go stay with him. He was in a good mood when I dropped off his keys, even greeting Max in that quiet civil way he does when he doesn't want to upset me. Max came off a little cold, but I tried to ignore it. Taking Bryson out of his good mood just wasn't something I wanted to deal with.

The day was uneventful, steady, until around eleven that night, when I watched a head of long blonde hair strut through the front door. She smiled sickly at me, and my hand flew to my hip, which wiped that smile right the hell off of her face. I continued to wipe down the bar, listening to the busy chatter that came with the night life.

"Talia," I heard her say my name. I rolled my eyes, but lifted my head and did my best to smile back in her general direction.

"Danielle," I greeted Max's girlfriend, keeping my eyes low as I cleaned glasses. "What are you doing in this part of town?"

Danielle shrugged. "Needed a drink," she said, her red lips curling up at the edges. Her striking green eyes met mine, and I felt a shiver run down my back at their cruel nature. I came closer to her side of the bar, watching her take a seat in a stool by herself. She was alone, which was never a good sign.

"Drinks are my specialty," I said dryly. "What can I make you?"

Danielle grinned. "How about Sex on the Beach?" she laughed a little. "Like that time Max and I went to the Bahamas for a week."

The comment made my stomach clench, but after several instances of similar comments of her dangling my best friend in front of me like that, I'd trained my face not to react.

"I can do that," I said, throwing my towel over my shoulder as I turned to make her drink. I zoned out a little, letting my hands take over as I made a drink I'd made thousands of times before. My glock weighed heavily against my hip. And the noises of the bar kept getting quieter and quieter, as my heartbeat got louder and louder.

"Talia," she spoke my name like venom when I turned and set her drink in front of her. "Tell me how you and Bryson are doing."

I shrugged absently, watching her bring her drink to her lips. "We aren't doing anything. We aren't together."

She laughed, loudly. "Oh yes!" she said. "I remember now. How funny. That explains why I heard about him sleeping with one of my girlfriends the other night..."

I gritted my teeth and shrugged again. "Not my business," I spoke, keeping my anger at bay. "Not my boyfriend."

Danielle could see she was getting to me, watching me grip the counter. She faked concern, setting her hand on my arm, to which I quickly yanked myself back from her. "Don't worry," she said, her voice dripping in condescending nature. "Some day you'll find a guy you can come home and have an amazing relationship with, and amazing sex too!" she paused. "Just like me and Max."

She was really getting under my skin now, but for Max, I kept myself from popping back. "As much as I appreciate your concern with my love life," I spoke, "I think I'm doing just fine, thanks."

Just then, another patron waved at me, and I swiftly moved down the bar to assist him. When I looked back down at Danielle, she was gone, a ten dollar bill laying beneath her glass.

* * * * *

"Hey sexy girl."

I looked up at Bryson, giving a small smile as I stepped into his open arms. "Hey big boy," I said. "How was your day?"

Bryson laughed, walking around his car to get into the driver's seat. I opened my door, sitting inside the car. "Much better after you left Max's," he told me, giving a lopsided grin. I rolled my eyes, feeling him place his hand on my thigh as he pulled out of the Crossroad's parking lot.

"I don't know why you care," I told him slowly. "It isn't like you care when you get into another girl's pants."

He didn't say anything for a moment, before giving a long sigh. "Talia, let's not do this tonight."

I shook my head a bit. "Whatever..."

Danielle's visit left a bad taste in my mouth. She hated me, I knew she hated me. But that much was a bit ridiculous.

Bryson and I rode in silence back to his place, and I didn't even speak when he opened my car door for me. He grabbed my arm halfway through his doorway, but I shook him off, and I felt anger begin to radiate from his figure.

"Talia what the hell is wrong with you?" he growled, slamming the door behind us. I rolled my eyes, putting my purse down and looking back at him.

"You're what's wrong with me," I said, crossing my arms. "You bitch because I spend the night with my best friend, and then I hear you've fucked another chick?"

Bryson scowled. "How do you even know it's true? Whoever told you that could just be trying to stir shit up!"

I laughed cruelly. "I'm finding it really easy to believe that you could do it though. That's my problem, Bryson."

He flared his nostrils. "So you don't trust me?"

I barked out another laugh. "Of course I don't! Why else would I react this way?"

I saw something scary flash in Bryson's eyes, before he turned and slammed his fist through the wall. "God dammit Talia!"

The noise made me jump, but I didn't flinch. It wasn't the first time I'd seen him punch something. "Oh yeah, act like a big scary man, put your fist through the wall."

Bryson looked back at me with rage in his features, but I was so mad I didn't care. "Talia, don't. I'm warning you."

I wasn't in the mood. "What are you gonna do?" I chuckled. "You've already fucked up whatever it is we were trying to be. What else have I got to lose?"

A deafening sound rang in the room, followed by heavy breathing as the open palm of Bryson's right hand collided with the left side of my face. I staggered back, my hands instinctively reaching up to cradle the tender skin. "Fuck!" I hissed. I looked up, tears gathering at the corners of my eyes. Bryson was standing over me, a sick smile plastered across his lips.

"I warned you!" he roared. "I fucking warned you Talia!"

He drew his hand back again to strike, and I didn't flinch. My hand flew to my glock on my hip and before he even realized what was happening he was staring down the barrel of my handgun. His smile dropped, watching as I clicked the safety off and aimed at the space between his eyes. It wasn't the first time I'd drawn my gun on somebody, but it was the first time I'd drawn it on someone who knew my name.

"Back up," I growled. I felt something wet trickle down my chin, and I realized suddenly he'd split my lip. I could taste blood.

Bryson held his hands out in surrender. "Easy Talia..." he spoke, forcing a smile. "Don't do anything brash."

I clicked the safety back on, holstering my gun. "I'm leaving," I whispered, grabbing my purse. And before he could do anything else, I was out the door.