fighting

Layne

"I won't answer you unless you come away from the edge, Marlene," I say firmly, inching forward. "Once you step away, I'll tell you. I promise."

I expect her to disagree. But she must be desperate for my answer, because she sobs out a "Fine." and takes a few steps away from the edge. I continue inching forward.

"Marlene, why would you-"

The thundering of footsteps from behind me cause me to whip around.

There stands Gwyneth, panting heavily, her eyes ablaze.

"Gwyneth, what's going-"

Gwyneth ignores me, pushes past me. Marlene sees Gwyneth coming for her and tries to make a break for the edge. But Gwyneth is faster. She grabs Marlene's wrist and tugs.

"You. You and your scandalous father," Gwyneth snarls. "You destroyed my family!"

Marlene tries to jerk away. "It's not me, it was my father!"

"You think you're the only one with problems now? Did you know that when your father stole all that money, my mother walked out on my father and I because she couldn't bear the shame?"

"Only my father was proven guilty! He's the only one with the shame!"

Enraged, Gwyneth strikes Marlene hard on the face.

I start forward. "Hey!"

But Gwyneth continues ignoring me. "But who was the one who hired your father? Everyone's saying that my father's biased. They're saying that he could have stopped your father but he didn't want to. They're saying that my father turned a blind eye. They're accusing him even though he's been proven innocent. And it's your father's fault!"

I grab Gwyneth's arm and tug her away from Marlene. Gwyneth turns on me like a wild animal, shoving me down hard to the ground.

Then she's back to shouting at Marlene, who's backing away from her, nearer and nearer to the cliff edge.

"Stop!" I yell, pushing myself up hurriedly. "Leave Marlene alone!"

Then suddenly, I don't see who struck who first, but both of them start fighting. They're pulling each other's hair, scratching each other's face and hands.

"Hey!" I shout. "Stop it!"

Gwyneth and Marlene push each other closer and closer and closer to the edge.

They're gonna fall!

My mind screams at me. SAVE MARLENE!

Without thinking, I lunge forward.

Just grab Gwyneth and drag her away from Marlene.

I reach out.

Just grab her.

Pain slices up my leg and I think I've stepped on a stone.

GRAB HER.

I realise too late that I'm losing my balance and I careen forward.

STOPSTOPSTOPSTOP

I slam into Gwyneth.

PLEASESTOPSTOPSTOPSTOP

She slams into Marlene.

"MARLENE!"