The Warmth of Strangers

Start from the beginning

"You're going to regret sharing these aren't you?" There was laughter in his voice and even in the darkness his eyes sparkled.

"It's good to share." She mumbled through the chocolate.

She swallowed before asking the question she'd been wondering about since he'd said he was letting people down. "So what were you supposed to be doing this evening then?"

"Aha!" He exclaimed. "Bribe me with chocolate then interrogate me. And here's me thinking you were just being generous."

"I was ... but I'm nosy too."

Adam cleared his throat before answering. "I was supposed to be attending a charity dinner ... as the guest speaker."

"Guest speaker eh? What were you going to speak about?"

"Erm ... me actually. Not very interesting in my opinion but when it's for charity people will listen to any old rubbish!"

Martha could hear embarrassment in his voice but her curiosity was piqued. "You must be interesting if they asked you to speak."

Adam shrugged. "I'm just lucky ... and I've been privileged to work with some wonderful people. I'm an actor."

Martha's eyes widened in the gloom. "Oh goodness. Should I have recognised you? I'm useless with faces."

"Oh no not at all. Not being recognised is a real pleasure believe me. Although no doubt I'll be all over the press tomorrow after my 'no-show' this evening. My publicist will be cursing himself for not forcing me to use a car tonight. I insisted on walking alone which he hates me doing especially as I have a tendency to lose track of time."

"So you're famous then?" She bit her lip and looked away.

"I have my moments but I'm just a normal guy really. Fame's just an illusion. Anyway, what about you? What do you do when you're not locked up with a complete stranger?"

Martha stared at her hands. She could sense his eyes on her and she sighed realising that this could end badly given what he'd just said. "I'm a journalist."

There was a long silence and then Adam started laughing. "Well I guess I should be relieved you don't know who I am then ... assuming you really don't of course."

It was Martha's turn to laugh, relieved that he wasn't fazed by her admission. "I work for the local rag and I have the dubious pleasure of reporting on church fêtes, WI meetings and the occasional rampaging cow. You're quite safe with me."

"Rampaging cow?" Adam raised his eyebrows.

"Oh yes ... one escaped from its field recently, made itself at home in the local vicar's garden and ate all his geraniums. It was my biggest story to date."

The sound of Adam's laughter was deep and very contagious, and they each struggled to control the giggles that took hold. Martha was sure a cow eating geraniums didn't deserve such hysterics but it felt good to laugh.

"I don't think I'd have laughed this much at the charity dinner," Adam spoke through his chuckles, his eyes glittering at her.

"No anecdotes involving cows then?" Martha giggled.

"Sadly no. The odd horse but no cows."

Her giggles back under control Martha looked at Adam. No, he didn't look familiar; undeniably attractive even in the dark, especially with the sparkles in his eyes, but not anyone she'd seen before. "So come on then, what have you been in that I might have heard of, bearing in mind I watch very little telly and haven't been to the cinema for ..." she cocked her head on one side and frowned, "maybe 5 years?"