Anastasia Lucendent Adela

Arthur danced with surprising grace as we joined into the thick crowd.

"Where have you been?" I ask, studying his face in disbelief. I am not dreaming. Arthur is really here!

I haven't seen him since the night he took me to the library and that was a lifetime ago. Several times I have wanted to seek him out, but I have never gone through with it.

I didn't even get to talk to him at James's funeral. He had silently put a flower down to pay his respects, and I remember the way he looked up at me with a glance that burned into my heart. With that he left without a word to me, and I wonder still why he didn't comfort me as he did the night we discovered what had happened.

Arthur's eyes shine with that mysterious sadness that pulled me into their beautiful swirling depths that very first time I met him.

I had wondered what that meant, the sadness in his eyes that ran so deep it seemed to cut like a sharpened sword. Now I know such a deep pain can only come from one thing.

Loss.

I see it in my own eyes when I look in the mirror. I see the ghost of it in my brother's eyes. I see it in my parents.

Arthur shakes his head, frowning as his eyes scanned my face. He saw the sadness that reflected in my eyes. He knows I've changed. "Oh Ana, I am so sorry. My father- he made me... I mean... I mean he wanted me to..." He trailed off, his expression was pained, as if he wanted to explain something that could not be put into words.

I purse my lips, but Arthur spun me and I couldn't help but laugh. When I face him again, we come together closer, and I feel my face heat as our bodies sway together. Arthur smiles down at me, but before I allow the thought to drift, I become serious. "Your father... Is he a good man?" I ask as we sway together to the beat of the music.

Arthur looked surprised at the question, his expression guarded, but he turns before I can read into it. He stares into the fire by our side, the light casting shadows across his face. He glances at me but says nothing, as if he was trying to stall answering my question.

This startles me and I reach up, my fingers lightly touch his hard jawline, and I turn his face to me. His eyes are clouded and sad, and he avoids my gaze. "Arthur, is your father... Is something wrong?" I ask, blowing a piece of hair out of my eyes.

  Arthur met my eyes and for only a second, and I see that glimpse of deep pain in his eyes that I see every so often when he looked at me. As if somehow this has to do with my well being.

"Nothing is wrong, dear Anastasia. Not now that I am with you," he says, his shy smile is bashful and sweet. The prince is certainly not what I had expected. He is a warrior, yes, but so much more. His athletic ability is put into great use due to his father's constant training, but in reality Arthur is just a quiet boy who gets lost in the books at the library.

I am very aware of his muscular arms around me as we dance, and I draw myself closer to him. He was stiff at first, and I giggle, knowing he obviously wasn't sure how to respond. Slowly, he relaxes, his hands draped casually across my waist. I lay my head against his strong shoulder, my arms around his neck. I enjoy the feeling of his heartbeat falling in steady rhythm with my own.

Over his shoulder, I get a glimpse of the tribal boy who was gazing at me earlier. He was now dancing with a young girl. She squeals, and he spun her around as he shook his hips to the best of the live music. He took her by the waist, lifting her into the air to swing her around and cause her to erupt into a round of giggles.

To my left, the twins had each found a lovely maiden and were dancing with mischievous grins. They looked quite proud of themselves, and the two maidens gazed happily up at them.