Anastasia Lucendent Adela

For a moment, the thief's smug look disappeared. He had stopped playing his song and stood with wide eyes.

  For that split second, he looked like a very little boy. An orphan, in wonder as he sees someone like me who has everything they want.

Me, who is a roaring flame when he is only a shadow.

Before he could say anything I turned and run.

I run as fast as I can, past the houses and the stores and hoping the boy was too stunned to follow me. I could hear the thief shouting something behind me, but I didn't listen and kept running. My heart pounded wildly against my chest.

I spot the gate in the distance, and Papa Bear tied to the wooden pole where I had left him. I was almost away from the stranger's grasp. I have never wanted back into the castle so badly.

Then I feel the sudden impact around my waist as the boy tackles me to the ground. I grunt, surprised by his boldness, and role across the gravel until his strength outweighs my own. He ends up on top of me.

"How dare you! Let me go at once!" I yell, kicking with all my might and trying to get out from under him, but he was stronger and bigger than me and he easily kept my arms pinned down.

"You're the princess!" He gawks, his golden eyes round with shock.

"Um, no! Now let me go!" I yell, thrashing desperately to get lose. I was slightly stunned the boy had the boldness to tackle his future queen to the ground.

The boy shakes his head, his eyes wild with shock. "Yeah right! I'm a professional liar and I can tell when someone is untruthful! You are the princess!"

I wiggle my left arm free and slap him across the face. He was stunned for a moment, and I took the chance to roll him over.

Now I had the advantage and was on top of him and I tightened my hold on his wrist so he couldn't wiggle free.

I pin him down like he did to me, leaning all my weight into him before realizing how incredibly unladylike and awful this position was. My face flushed scarlet. He stares at me with mischief gleaming in his eyes and smiles crookedly. "I'm impressed," he commented, blowing a piece of his dark hair from his eyes.

I was about to slap him again when an idea hits me.

"You live in this village, correct?" I ask trying to put in the commanding tone my etiquette teacher taught me.

He laughs like he thought the answer was obvious. "Of course love," he says with a calm smile, but I could see the hint of fear behind his mask. He glances to his lute, which lays on the ground beside him just out of reach. As if the instrument could help him.

"If you would please let me up-" I put more weight down on his arms. "I need your help, thief." I say, trying to act like I have everything under control.

The boy groans. "I don't work for just anyone, princess." He says with a smug smile.

I wonder who he thought was a better client than the princess herself and blow a piece of hair out of my face in exasperation. I smile sweetly, but my eyes warned him that I have more power than he thinks. I see this realization fall into his eyes, and the healthy fear he possessed before returns. You're a thief," I begin. "You like money and practically anything worth value. I'm about to be queen."

I allow that sink in. When it does, he gets a mischievous grin on his face and nods.

"What's your offer, love?" He asks, cocking his eyebrow as if he were the one making a deal instead of me. I brush a strand of my long curly hair out of my face and try to look as confident as I can sitting on him. The position was quite awful, and I couldn't help but think he took pleasure in it.