Minerva's Visit

Gerome's family was moving. Now this didn't really effect him too much; he lived in a college dorm room, and his parents weren't moving but twenty minutes from the original house. Sure, he lost some of his weekends to help out with the move, but he didn't really care.

No, the transportation of all of the furniture wasn't the worst problem for Gerome - it was Minerva, the family cat the caused the biggest complication. During the last stages of the move, there would be too much chaos for Minerva to stay in either the new or old house.

And so somehow it had been decided that Minerva would stay with Gerome in his dorm room for a weekend. His no-pets-allowed dorm room.

So on a Friday evening, Gerome smuggled the cat into his dorm room while Owain was hanging out with his friends Niles and Leo and Inigo was gone hitting on some girls. If Gerome was to pull this off, then no one was allowed to know about this. No one.

After locking the door, he unzipped the suitcase he had stowed Minerva in. "Welcome to your home for the weekend, Minervykins," he said affectionately as the cat poked her black head out of the suitcase.

He stood up then opened a door to reveal a small closet with little more than a washing and drying machine in it. "For now you can go wherever you want, but you're going to have to stay in here when my room mates are around."

Minerva claimed out of the suitcase and began to sniff the floor.

"Don't worry," Gerome continued. "They won't find you in there, provided you're not too loud. It's my week to do the laundry, so neither of them should have any reason to look in there, Owain least of all. He rarely ever goes in there, even when he's on laundry duty."

Gerome reached down to pet the black cat, and she licked his hand.

"Aw, you're such a little cutiepie. How about you explore a little bit while I set up your food and litter box in the Realm of Garment Rejuvenation."

Gerome sighed and smacked his forehead against the wall when he realized what he'd said. "This is not good," he muttered. "Owain's starting to rub off on me. Owain's one of my two room mates," he explained to Minerva.

"He comes up with the stupidest names for everything. The bathroom, the shower, the microwave, the toaster... Just everything. He named the washing machine closet that you'll be staying in the 'Realm of Garment Rejuvenation.'"

Minerva meowed.

"Yeah, I know. Owain's such a dork. And I have to live with him."

Minerva wandered into the bedroom, so Gerome followed her, still talking.

"Well I guess I should probably tell you about Inigo now that I've somewhat described Owain. Inigo... Where do I start? He's just... He's just..." Gerome let out an exasperated groan. "He's just so social. And what's worse, sometimes he manages to rope me into his antics. Last week, he literally dragged me out of this dorm to be his wingman. That wasn't fun. For either of us."

Gerome sighed and picked Minerva up from where she had curled up on Owain's bed. "Sorry, but I'm going to have to put you in the Realm of Garment Rejuvenation before either of them get back. It probably wouldn't good if they found you. It would be even worse if they heard me talking to you. It wouldn't really affect you, but I would likely die of embarrassment."

He placed her in the washing machine closet and then closed the door. "I'll take you out of there as soon as I can. I've told you this before, but you're a great listener. I love you, Minervykins."

------------------------------------------

The next morning during breakfast, Owain sneezed.