Chapter Fifteen

"This is it. I'm going to tell them everything." I thought myself as I finished breakfast.

I was sitting next to Siren, who was across from her mom, who was beside Siren's sister, Gertrude.

"Good luck." My werewolf whispered.

I opened my mouth to speak and was promptly interrupted by Gertrude. I guess they were so used to my quiet personality that nobody expected me to speak when I did.

I closed my mouth and waited for the right opportunity to present itself.

It never did.

The rest of the day pasted with Siren jabbering to who ever was next to her. I wasn't really noticed, which was alright by me. I usually didn't want to be the center of attention and was content to observe.
But that worked to my disadvantage now, when no one payed me any mind and I refused to interrupt a conversion.

We were walking across the camp. Siren stopped to talk with Alecc. I looked away. When I looked back, Siren was gone and Alecc wasn't. I stood there awkwardly. Then it hit me. Now was perfect! No one was talking or moving or doing anything.

Still I hesitated, waiting for someone, anyone, to jump in and start talking.
Finally I decided the silence was so bad someone need to break it.

"Alecc,"
I breathed. Alecc's eyes met mine.
"I need to tell you something.. I-"

"Alecc! Alecc!"
A middle aged man with short blond hair ran up to us.
"Your father is back! Everyone's back!"
He grinned. His bright green eyes held relief and he laughed for joy.

Alecc's eyes lit up and he laughed too, looking as if someone had just relived him of a heavy burden.

The man grabbed Aleccs arm and pulled him away.

I sighed.
"This is going to be harder than I thought."

................

"Chief." Zach said tugging me forward through the chattering crowd surrounding the chief.
"This is the newcomer who saved me and Aleccs life. She's been here for weeks now and I was thinking, since your back, we should make her pack."

A stunned silence from all around met his words.

Siren jumped up beside me.
"Of course we should make her pack. Her last pack was murdered my wers," at this she scowled fearcily.
"So now she's, technology, a lone wolf."

The chief looked at me, then grinned, and said,
"Not for much longer."
....................

A hundred eyes here on me as I was handed my official talisman declaring me of age and a part of the pack.

The group of leaders of the SilverFire had talked it over for hours but no one had really had anything bad to say about me.

"What am I going to do?" I said to myself.

"Easy, tell them the truth." Said falcon.

"I can't tell them now."

For the first time since my parents murders I was accepted and loved. I had a family again. Now I was going to tell them I had been lying this whole time? What if they decided I was too much trouble and gave me to the werewolves?

"Now your just being irrational." Said my wolf.

Still, my already fragile resolve wavered.

"Wait." Suggested panther, someone who understand stalking, patient, waiting for the right moment.

I was patient. I could wait a while longer.
Something made me reluctant to shed the coat of normal shifter.

For an instant I wished with all my might I had grown up here.
Then pushed it away in a wave of shame. I loved my parents and wouldn't trade the world for them. Even if they were gone now.

I wondered what they would thing of all this. About the shifters, about Siren, and Zacc, and... Alecc.

Her feelings about him confused her. She had read books like princess bride, where love was the main plot. But more every day she was realizing real life was nothing like the novels of her childhood.

She sighed, why was this so difficult?