1| ghosts that we knew ✓

so give me hope, in the darkness that i will, see the light

so give me hope, in the darkness that i will, see the light...but i will hold on as long as you like, just promise me we'll be alright.

☾☽

Adelia didn't belong to anyone.

In a room that felt anything but welcoming within a house filled with girls just like her. Located in a building that hardly let in the sun, situated in a small town that Adelia couldn't feel any less connected with.

It was isolating, to feel that no one wanted you, that you weren't good enough from the start. Adelia had felt that way for 16 years. And she had accepted it, accepted that she would never have a real family. She accepted that she wouldn't go far in this world, due to an awful education and barely any money to her name. Adelia accepted that she would forever and always be a lost girl.

As a child, she liked to believe her stork dropped her off to the wrong home and somebody out there was looking for her. She hoped that for years. But hope could only get someone so far and only last for so long until it ran out. By nine years old, she found comfort in other things, small things. Such as long walks, soft blankets, the barking of a dog, jumping in puddles after it rained. Adelia also enjoyed drawing and reading especially.

At school, despite her high grades, she always seemed distracted. Her nose always in a book and if it wasn't, she was doodling on her notes. She got yelled at often from the teachers but she never seemed to learn her lesson. After school, she would walk her foster siblings home (as she was the eldest in the house), taking care of them before she headed to the Public Library just around the corner.

The librarian, Mr.Jakobson, had known her since she was nine and came into the library asking for a book to read. Little did he know that girl would come back almost every day to read the book he suggested. She wasn't old enough for her own library card at the time, but that didn't stop her from sneakily hiding the book she was in the middle of. And by sneakily, it meant that Mr.Jakobson just turned the other cheek and pretended he didn't notice.

Truth be told, the library was the only safe haven in her world. Mr.Jakobson knew that. The rumors of the horrors that would go on in that foster home spread around the small town faster than a wildfire. And when Adelia would come in, sporting a bruise on her cheek or a burn on her arm, he knew some of them had to be true. The librarian did what he could, always offering to call CPS or the police, but the look of pure fear on Adelia's face at the proposition always convinced him not to call.

Now, Adelia was sixteen. Mr.Jakobson watched the girl walk past the library window with five girls surrounding her. Each varying from the ages six through thirteen. The kids looked up to Adelia like an older sister, and she protected them as if she was.