Sanguine Part 18

Paul watched with interest as Adie eased out a medium sized bowl from an intricately carved wooden chest that stood at the side of the room; she placed it upon the table that stood between her own body and the dragons, before she excused herself for a few moments. Paul glanced at Richard, then, and felt his lover's confusion filtering over their link in eddying washes of lavender. Richard merely shrugged, silently, at Paul when he realised that the Beta was looking at him; Paul merely huffed back at him, and grinned, merely glad for the fact that he wasn't the only one who wasn't certain as to what was going on. Adie returned to the room, then, awkwardly carrying a jug before her; Paul could smell clean spring-water inside, and saw the clear liquid arcing from the lip of the jug as she poured it into the bowl.

"What are you going to do, exactly?" Richard asked, curiously, earning himself an amused smile from Adie.

"I'm gonna do some scrying, my little dragonet," she said, brightly, as her smile turned into a full-blown grin and a chuckle.

"Some what now?" Paul asked, in alarm, as he stiffened beside Richard. "Is that dangerous?"

Again, Adie laughed, yet not unkindly, and reached out to pat Paul's knee gently.

"No, dear, it's not dangerous. It's a spell; well, it's more of a simple little trick, really," she explained, warmly. "And nothing to worry your pretty head about. Remember I told you about the surveillance trick those rogue elemental witches pulled on you? With the clouds? Well, this is a similar thing; I can use this water as a conduit between myself and whomever I want to spy on. Basically what happens is, that I can conjure up visions on the surface of a flat expanse of water, and it's kinda like watching through a one way mirror, but not quite so clear or reliable. I need to use the purest spring water for this or it won't work."

"So you have a spring here? I didn't think we had things like that in Berlin," Richard asked, suspiciously.

"We don't," she said, with a guilty grimace. "I actually bought this from LIDL. It's still pure though, or pure enough for what I need it for. Shocking, isn't it? Witches needing to resort to buying spring water from LIDL? You'd think we were like normal people, or something."

Richard and Paul laughed loudly at that, which earned them a beautiful grin from Adie.

"Well, even us dragons need to shop in LIDL or Aldi every week, believe it or not. Anyway, I suppose it saves filching water from the church, or is that more Holy Water?" Paul asked, feeling a little confused.

"That's not the sort of thing I need for my spell-work, unfortunately," Adie said, with a rough snort. "Not pagan enough. Anyway and anyhoo, let's get on, shall we? Time's pressing and I'm sure you must have places to go to. I'm only keeping you."

"No, actually, you're not. This has all been really interesting so far," Richard assured her, and Paul could feel the gentle wash of his mate's truthfulness coiling gently over their soul-bond.

Adie merely grinned her thanks at him, before she sighed and asked a question.

"I'm going to need something of yours, Richard, if you don't mind," she said. "It doesn't matter what, just anything that comes into regular contact with your body."

"Other than Paul, you could always have my wallet, I suppose; that's always in constant contact with my body," Richard said, as he dug his wallet from the depths of his jeans pocket. "No offence, but I am gonna get this back, aren't I?"

"Of course you are," Adie snorted, roughly. "I'm a witch, not a thief. Although I won't be able to magic more money into it, if that's what you're after. I wish I could do things like that, but I'm not that good. I'm sorry."