Thirteen

Doctor Fish's inspiring words reinforced an attitude that I had already begun to embrace, acceptance of who I am and the life I have. I am ready now more than ever to learn aikido with pretty boy Jameson Dakota. Before Doctor Fish leaves, he tells me that Kingshire has been in meetings since yesterday morning and will be stopping by to see me later that afternoon. When the doctor leaves with his assistant, I'm left with the rest of the day to myself.

I shower and get cleaned up. Afterward, I stand in front of the bathroom sink staring at my face in the mirror. Both my eyes are blackened purple and yellow as is the length of my nose and cheek bones. I think my nose might still be a little crooked. Doctor Fish had informed me that a corrective surgery or two may be necessary down the road. Between my banged up face and my short hair, I look awful.

I sigh. Get busy living.

That afternoon when Kingshire stops by to visit, he has a thin wooden box with a bow on top and a vase full of white carnations. He sets them on the dining table and asks me how I'm doing.

"Okay, I guess."

"That was a heck of a fall you took. I watched the tape from that morning and the previous night." He nods at the box with the bow. "Not quite a samurai sword you conjured, is it?"

I shake my head as I remove the bow and push two buttons on the box. The latches release and flip up like a fancy briefcase. Lifting the lid, I see the black hollow disc tucked tightly into a gray velvety molding.

"I had JD make the box for you. Only things that are in direct contact with the disc become weightless. Since the molding is separate from the box, the box remains unaffected by the disc and its weight intact. Now it can't float away from you."

I'm surprised. Not so much by this information, but that he would return it to me. When I saw that it had been removed from the ceiling, I hadn't ever expected to see it again. "You're...giving this back to me?" I ask, bewildered.

"Of course," he waves off my concern. "You spent almost twelve hours making it; it's yours. There may come a time when I ask you to make another one, but for now, I think you should keep it. JD analyzed it to the nth degree and we can't even get a firm grasp of the molecular structure of the thing. It's made out of a material that has never been seen before. It also means you can hang your nanocarbon suit up for the next twenty-four hours. It would also stand to reason that if you schedule a few hours of transmogrification a day, you could keep your levels low enough to go without it indefinitely."

"Unless I'm getting shot at," I joke.

Kingshire laughs and agrees. "Yes, barring that."

"Wow." I look back at the disc, close the lid and secure the latches on the box. "Thanks." I have to wonder if this isn't some sort of peace offering. Our relationship hasn't been a particularly smooth one.

"You're very welcome. Doctor Fish says your nose has healed in less than twenty-four hours."

I nod. "I'm ready to beat Jam...er...JD up again. Will he be back tomorrow?"

"Absolutely," Kingshire replies, looking at his watch. "As long as you're ready." He stands and pushes the chair back beneath the table, preparing to leave. "I've a meeting to attend in ten minutes." Then he gives me a serious look. "Hannah, I'm proud of you," he says. "Your attitude has been stupendous as of late."

I can't help the words that come out of my mouth next. Sometimes I wish I could just bite my tongue. "It helps not being caged like some animal."

There is a haunting look that glazes his eyes. "It can get much worse, trust me," he says darkly.

I try to defuse a situation that I'm not quite sure I understand. There is jealously or anger or hatred, maybe all of the above reflecting in those eyes of his. "I'm just saying, sir. I work better under less stressful conditions. But I understand why you did it," I add, for good measure.