"Oh mother! Magiano's home!" My oldest sister exclaimed happily and the three ran to greet me.

I always loved when she called me Magiano. I never felt like my birth name fit me, like a pair of shoes a size too small, but I felt complete with my sister's endearing nickname.

I grin, my heart fluttering in excitement to show them my prize. "Yes, and I have something for you!" I say triumphantly.

I hold up the golden ring which I had been keeping around my neck for safe keeping. My sisters gasp in surprise, circling closer to look at the tint circlet of gold. "Oh Magiano!" My youngest sister says in awe, her voice dreamy. "It's beautiful!"

"Skies, it must be worth a fortune! How ever did you get it?" My middle sister asked as she admired the shining gold. She always had an eye for objects with a sparkle, and expensive jewelry often drew her in as easily as a flame draws in a moth, but we never had the money for such pleasures.

My smile dropped, and I twisted the ring nervously. "Well... I, um..."

"You stole it!" Boomed a gruff voice. My father was being helped out of the bedroom by mother.

He was an old war veteran and had blown out his knee during battle only two years ago. Without my mother's help and the makeshift crutch he leaned against he couldn't walk.

I look away from his cruel gaze. "Well, yes father... but only because we could use the money to-"

"That's enough, boy!" My father growled in his gruff voice. "You are a disgrace! Stealing wrongly and putting holes in the family names! Bah! You are a bloody thief!"

If only my father hadn't said that. If only he had understood that I was trying to help our family.

If he had, they would have lived. At least, this is what I have told myself over and over on the days when my guilt is too much for me to breathe. I hold onto this simple what if desperately.

"Thank you sir, for your cooperation," responded an unfamiliar voice devoid of emotion.

We spun toward the door, surprised to see the strangers at the entrance of the house.

Surrounding the doorway was at least fifty soldiers, but not just any soldiers, Night Hunters.

The most trained and deadly soldiers alive, and the lead soldier who had spoken was stepping forward towards my family.

How they had opened the door and surrounded the house was a mystery to me. It was most likely because of the intense training, skills that allowed them to slip soundlessly into the shadows and disappear without a trace. I will never know for sure.

The lead soldier's finger never left the trigger of the gun he gripped tightly in his armored hand. The weapon was unfamiliar to my family, only recently brought to this portion of the kingdom and seen very little.

"Now, hand over the boy and nobody gets hurt."

My oldest sister grabbed onto my arm fiercely. "No! Please! You can't take him he's just a child!"

The soldier stepped forward. His gleaming helmet reflected my sister's terrified golden eyes. She yanked me further back, and I stared in terrified shock towards the soldier.

"No! I won't let you hurt him!" She yells, stepping in front of me, using her body as a shield while I stood unable to speak behind her.

The soldier observed the situation. His cold eyes darted from my parents to my sisters then back to me. To this day my heart coils with anger as I think back to the many different ways this could have played out. How this should have gone so differently. Instead, the soldier turned back to my sister's stubborn pride and knew she would not waver. "Very well," he said without emotion.