Chapter 1

Growing up, Mallory had always wanted to please her only parent. Her mom was the one she always wanted to impress, whether it meant practicing hours of piano a day, going to swim meets that gobbled up her weekends only for her to spend about 10 minutes racing, or whatever else. That was her childhood. Looking back, Mal honestly could not say she had received any sort of acknowledgement about her efforts.

 And why would Catherine do so? Why would she care about her average firstborn when her second was the golden sister?

It was Mackenzie this and Mackenzie that. Oh, your sister qualified for the Junior Olympics for swimming butterfly. Your sister won twenty thousand dollars at the piano competition at LA. Your sister, your sister, your sister. 

Mal felt like Doctor Doofenshmirtz, in Phineas and Ferb. Was it sad that she was comparing her life to an evil scientist in a cartoon? Probably, yeah. Mackenzie would never do something like that. Mackenzie liked reading, and art, and dignified things. Mackenzie was cool, she was nice, she was the fucking goddess. Everyone thought so, except for Mal.

She knew that Mackenzie had snuck into a bar at seventeen with her boyfriend of twenty-five. How? Mal was the one who picked her up, and held up her hair and gotten the Advil. She knew that Mackenzie was the one that had hacked into Emily Garcia's Facebook and posted all of her nudes. Why? Because she was the one that stole Emily's cell phone for Mackenzie to hack. 

Mallory hated her sister, but twisted inside that hate, so intertwined with it that it became impossible to distinguish, was also a deep love as well. 

After all, the most violent hate could only come from the deepest love.