Chapter 17: Journeys, Part 2

Start from the beginning

"New miryhls, follow me!" a booming voice commanded, even louder than Stirla's.

Mhysra peered around Cumulo's wing in time to see a tall Rider climb a ladder into the eyries above. "Better go," she urged her miryhl. "It'll be warm in there."

Cumulo rubbed his beak against her, then flapped after the Rider. Hurricane swooped in just ahead of him and Mhysra winced, hoping Cumulo wouldn't cause trouble. The rest of the new miryhls jostled after them.

"We'll have trouble with those two," someone chuckled, and she turned to the man dressed in an everyday Rider uniform of brown and black. His voice seemed vaguely familiar, his accent crisp with a hint of the Lowlands. Then a flash of lightning lit the room and the Rider's face.

"Kilai!" she shrieked, jumping into her brother's arms.

Laughing, he lifted her off the ground. "Welcome to Aquila, brat."

"Kilai," she murmured as he put her down, unable to tell him how much she'd worried, fearing he wouldn't want to know her. "Oh, I've missed you."

"Aye, brat, me too," he said carelessly, ruffling her hair and picking up Cumulo's tack. "Come on. I'll show you where to store this so it'll get cleaned, then we'll settle you in."

Wiping her face and hoping people would think it was just the rain, she shouldered her pack and called for Dhori. Then she looked at her brother again and smiled. "Let's go."

* * * * *

THE CITADEL LOOKED just the same as Lyrai followed his captain from the eyries. He stopped when they crossed the bridge, unable to help himself. It was tradition for returning Riders to pause by the great window to look at the view. Straight ahead the mountain ridges fell back, leaving nothing but clouds and sky. Even shrouded by a storm the scene was breathtaking. Lightning snaked across the darkening day and the horizon was a distant line of crimson-tinged gold. Thunder shuddered through the citadel as the sun surrendered to the night.

Smiling, Lyrai bent over the sill and, heedless of the rain, stared at the surging Aquatai Falls. This was the glory of Aquila: a sheet of roaring water tumbling into the cloudy abyss. Buildings clung to the cliffs on either side as though they had grown from the rocks. Lightning flashed, reflecting off the aqueducts that rippled along each street. On the right were the homes of the tradesmen and women who worked for the citadel and to the left were the barracks.

Aquila: home of the Rift Riders. Lyrai adored it.

Turning from the window, he ran a hand over the smooth stone and followed the others. Unlike the new students, off to eat before being shown to their rooms, he had an appointment. Life for students would begin in the morning, but for the Riders work carried on.

"Pleased to be home?" Stirla murmured.

"I'll let you know," Lyrai replied, saving his breath for the East Tower. For a man with a limp, Myran moved fast and his lieutenants struggled to keep up, pausing at the top to catch their breath. Lightning flickered, followed by snarling thunder that shook the torches in their brackets. Casting an experienced eye over his officers, the captain smiled and opened the door.

Two men waited inside. "Good timing, Myran?" Captain Roumn greeted; a grizzled older Rider who looked as if the kaz-naghkt had gnawed on him. He eyed Stirla and Lyrai with a smirk. "Think you're ready to play the teaching game, lads?"

As the lieutenants traded uncertain glances, the other captain came over. "They've just outraced a storm, Roumn, give them a chance to dry out before frightening them off." The shortest man present, Captain Fredkhen was also the friendliest. "How many with you?"