Chapter Five

Waking up felt like that moment when you wake up from an action-packed dream and can't exactly remember where you are.

A feeling of pure excitement left over from the adrenaline rush I'd gotten from my run came over me. It was intoxicating. I didn't even need alcohol or another drug to make myself feel this way like other people did, all I needed was to run again. I knew I was still a jaguar based on the feeling of my body against the cool cement, and was eager to go again.

All of it was crushed the moment I opened my eyes.

The first thing I noticed was thick metal bars, reflecting my teal eyes back at me as I stared through them at the building beyond. It was dark, and the smells were no longer of food and sweat, but instead of dirt and dust. A cold chill ran down my spine as I flicked my new tail back and forth in the air, feeling a draft rub against it.

Footsteps appeared from my right, and I turned towards them, unintentionally bearing my teeth and exhaling a hissing sound. But just as I tried to move even closer, I was stopped by a metal clang. My head turned towards the noise, and I realized my feet had been handcuffed to the ground.

When I looked back up, my heart stopped.

I should've realized this. That if what had happened with the jaguar had been real, then this would have to be real, too.

Holter stood in front of my cage, staring at me with his arms crossed. His eyes were cold as he looked at me in a way that was the polar opposite of how he had been looking at me in the pool not that long before.

"So...after all this time....I finally got you," he said, his voice menacing. Obviously, he was referring to whoever had been the jaguar before me, but it wasn't like I had a voice to tell him that at the moment.

"This time, I'm going to find out who you are. I know it'll only be a couple minutes before you'll change back and I'll know. It's nearly morning, and the New Moon will be gone. I'm actually kind of sorry about this...I don't want to hurt you. I just really need to know." He did seem genuinely sorry, too, based on the sad expression on his face.

I stared at him as he spoke, my teal eyes connecting with his green ones. He took a step closer to me, still looking slightly angry. "Why did you attack one of my friends last night? You haven't done that before," he asked, not actually expecting an answer. And I didn't give him one. "I know that you bit her because I saw it happen."

My only response was again just a blank stare. For some reason, I was extremely afraid for him to know the truth about me. Maybe it was engraved in the idea of being whatever it was that I was, that I wasn't supposed to let anyone know the truth. Not even Holter. But I felt it deep in my bones, and I was scared of what would happen when I transformed back.

Which would end up being sooner than I thought.

The same familiar stinging sensation came again in my leg. I began to back away from him desperately, not sure how I'd be able to hide who I was from him. I turned my face away, trying to face the back of the cage while Holter just watched in fascination, as my body began to morph. I let out a loud roar, that came unexpectedly from deep within my body just as my vocal cords began to change back. The fur surrounding my body slowly changed and as the transformation began to complete itself again, complete silence came from the only other person in the room. And when I glanced over my shoulder to look at Holter, I was met with a completely surprised expression. I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. It took him a couple seconds to regain enough of his composure to form a single word.

"Jada...," he said softly, confusion written into his features. I stood up slowly, my bare feet against the ground as the metal cuffs clanked. They were freezing against my ankles and I began shivering, since I was still wearing just the black tank top and ripped jeans.

Holter didn't seem like he knew what to do. He walked closer to the cage, and opened the door cautiously. I stood there, not moving an inch. I had no idea what he was going to do to me. I took a nervous step back as he moved closer to me.

He walked even closer to me, but I could no longer step back because of the handcuffs holding me in place. Slowly, he reached out a hand and brushed a stray twig away that had been stuck in my hair. "I had no idea...," he muttered softly.

I didn't say a word. He knelt down and unlocked the handcuffs that held my feet in place. I sighed in relief at finally being free, and stepped out of the handcuffs. My expression must have been just as surprised as his was.

"I'm sorry," he said, looking defeated.

"I'm sorry, too." I wanted to hug him, but wasn't sure I'd be able to in the state of shock we both were in. I wasn't sure where we were going to go from here, how we were going to continue on, both of us now knowing a secret of each other's.

But I knew somehow we'd go on. Because although life enjoyed throwing things at you that completely changed everything, there was always a way to work through it. And whatever this power I now had would bring, I would deal with it.

Because I was going to make it through.

I would be okay.