prologue

"a little bit dangerous, but baby, that's how i want it
a little less conversation, and a little more touch my body,''

Maya Hart was like many girls, hopelessly crushing on an older boy who didn't return the same feelings. Unlike many girls, she acted on it any way she could. She didn't try to hide her crush, just not too many people took her seriously. Not even her crush. She wanted her crush to take her seriously; to see her as more than a child, more than just his niece's little friend. 

The feeling of proving herself to be a mature young adult was overwhelming, so when her crush came to New York, she knew she had to do something to be closer to him, to prove herself to him. She didn't know how she was going to do it, not even when she snuck out of her small apartment to go to her best friend's house. She was sure that Josh would be there, and if not, Riley would know where he was. Maya snuck into Riley's room first, hoping that Riley would be asleep.

 Apparently, luck was on Maya's side that night. The house was silent. She crept out of her best friend's room, pausing fleetingly to look at the papers laying next to Riley. She noticed a face in the faint light, specifically, Lucas Friar's, with an average drawing of the Eiffel Tower behind him. Peeking over her shoulder, she tugged out her phone and snapped a picture of the first drawing, ignoring the many others. 

After sneakily escaping Riley's room, she tip-toed down the hallway and into the living room. She wanted to check if Josh would be sleeping on the couch before she started recklessly checking rooms. Yet again, luck was on her side. She didn't want to search the whole apartment for Josh, so it had to be luck that Josh was laying down on the couch, on his phone. The television was off, explaining why it was silent when she had entered earlier.

Maya crept forward, her steps becoming slower and shakier, getting more and more nervous with each movement. Abruptly, Josh sat up and looked around until his eyes locked on the blonde. He didn't even flinch, as if he knew she was there the whole time. ''Maya,'' he spoke in a normal tone, like she didn't possibly break in at two in the morning. ''What's up?''

She couldn't help it as her eyes trailed down his body, then back up, slower than she had been walking. He patted the spot next to him, tossing the blanket he was using to the side. ''Well, I don't know. I usually walk around at night, when I can't sleep. And tonight, I ended up here.'' She lied quickly, but didn't feel too guilty. After all, she was only partially lying. She did walk around at night, just never stopped here before.

She finally made it to the couch and plopped down next to him, sitting closer to him than either had expected. And that was where it all began, her deciding to finally prove to him that she was more mature than he thought and him deciding that it felt too good to stop, and then, without speaking, they had become friends with benefits.