Fawn❤17

I slipped my notepad and pencil behind the tank so he wouldn't see it. My gaze fell on his legs which kept shaking, like he was nervous about something, as he spoke, "Its... I know its outta nowhere but I need a favour. Its..." He kept saying something about help and desperation but I wasn't listening because of his suddenly fidgety behaviour.
I looked down at my wrist and tapped on my watch. "Cut to the chase for God's sake!" I whisper-shouted, even though I didn't exactly see what the time was.

He cleared his throat and spoke, "It's about Megan. She's been acting weird lately-"
"She seems fine to me!" I shrugged and hopped off the platform, but Carter grabbed me by my shoulder before I could leave. He finally became still, "Look. I've known Megan for much longer than you have and I just know that something about her is off. I've been her friend long enough to know that she is not the kind of person who'd say no to a party and she definitely isn't the kind of person who runs away from home every other week!" I was shaken up by the grave in his voice and the way he was so certain of the things he said.

I stood motionless for a few seconds before I spoke, "Running away?"
He nodded, " I know she's keeping something from us. We just can't get her to tell us... She doesn't trust us anymore. But you are one person she does rely on..."
"How would you know?" I felt my lips twist up in a wry smile.
"Mostly when she'd run away, she'd keep running, but we'd eventually find her. But this time she hid in your house."
It fell in place all at once but I still wasn't sure how I could help, "I could help you... Only that I've never had anyone share their secrets with me, if that's what you want me to do..." My shoulders slumped and I died a little as another lie made its way out of my mouth.
"It doesn't take much. Just tell her that you'll go for the party!"

"Carter! I think you don't understand! Its hard enough for me to make a proper conversation... I don't make a very good friend..." I spat the words out.

He rolled his eyes, "Yeah, right!" His expression softened, "It takes time to earn that kind of trust but I'm sure you can do this. I'm with you_ so is Okiku and Owen!"

He gave my shoulder a soft pat and made his way down the roof, "You coming down?"
I shook my head and sat in an awkward silence as he disappeared down the ladder.

When I was sure that I was alone, I let my back rest against the tank again. Staring up at the night sky, I kept wondering why they're being so nice to me. I never wanted to make any friends in the first place. The thought keeps nagging me to a point it makes me sick.

Why did they let me in?