Flashback

"I'm pretty decent, thank you." 

0.1

"Why are you writing so fast?"

I flinched a bit from the sudden voice, I paused writing for a second and looked up. The bright golden yellow sun blared in my eyes making me squint real hard. It appears to be a he.

"Sorry if I startled you."

"It's fine, I'm used to it," I remarked.

I looked down at my notebook laid in front of me and continued to jot down my ideas for a school project. He was watching me ink the page with every stroke of detail of words with my pen on thin paper.

"If you're waiting for me to answer your question, the answer is because a great idea popped into my brain and I don't wanna forget it so I have to write this fast." I gave a sign that I was finished writing by smashing my black pen to mark a dot for the period.

"Well, I wasn't exactly waiting for an answer." 

"Then why are you still here?" I ask looking up at him.

"I came because you seemed lonely and thought you needed company. And I stayed 'cause your writing seemed very. . . interesting to me," he replied. I was confused on why he seemed so interested in my writing.

"Why exactly do you find my writing interesting?" I ask wondering.

"I dunno," he paused putting his right arm behind his neck, "your writing just seems. . . different from all the others that I've seem which makes it interesting to me."

"Thanks. . . I think?" I say unsure.

He let out a little laugh and said, "Yes it was a compliment, I meant to say it in a good way." He took a seat beside me and looked at me.

 "Oh, the name's James by the way. I forgot to mention," he said putting his hand out.

"Well, the name's Nadine, call me Nadz if you'd like." I put out my hand and shooked it with his.

"I think we could become friends. Plus, I can't seem to find my other friends and I think it's the same with you," he mentioned.

"Yeah. . ."

There was complete silence while I stared at my notebook until James spoke up.

"Uh. . . how are you?" He asked me.

"Interesting that you ask that. I'm pretty decent thank you," I reply carefully with my choice of words.

"Well that's a new one - decent, never heard of that before," he said, smiling.

"Me either." I take a deep sigh.

"You're quite different from other people I know. I like you," he remarked smiling even wider.

Wait. . . let me process this for a second. . . I like you? As in. . . oh, nevermind as a friend. This guy just met you, c'mon Nadine, don't think the other way around like you always do.

"I like you too." He furrowed his eyebrows and I realized what he was thinking. "Oh, no I meant as a friend," I said.

"Oh." His mood changed by the smile fading away.

I sat back and slumped down through all the awkwardness happening.

"Hey James!" I didn't recognized the voice so I bopped my head up looking for who it was.

"Hey Bret!" James said, standing up to greet his group of friends I'm guessing.

"Sorry Nadine, gotta go. I'll probably see you. . . tomorrow maybe?"

"Sure," I replied, giving a flat smile. He wants to talk to me again?

"Bro, who's that and why are you talking to her?" I heard that so called 'Bret' say and all the other words faded away as they kept walking.

a/n - this book will have probably slow updates now, sorry. but they won't be very slow don't worry. so the first flashback is up and i think the flashback chapters will be kinda short compared to the other chapters, but i hope you like this :) sorry if it seems a little rushed i only had a little time for this. please vote and comment!

xx