The Shy One 2

CAMERON MENDOZA

Right when you got outside you saw your school bus arrive. Perfect timing. You went to your usual seat, the fifth seat on the left. You don't know why it's always empty, but you figured out you'd rather not know. Right when the bus doors were about to close, you saw a guy coming through, panting. He was probably running. Never saw him before, probably new kid. He's cute though. I just hope he doesn't sit here.. I am not in the mood right now.
Last night you were about to go to Natasha's party-the most popular girl in school. You thought it was the luckiest day of your life when she gave you the invite. It's probably cause I don't get on her bad side, you thought. You were the girl to always sit at the back of the class. Every time a person would try to talk to you, you tried to make an excuse as quick as you can to not make the conversation awkward. Your one and only true best friend is Miranda. She was your neighbor, but she got transferred schools and moved to a new home due to her parents work. But you guys always keep in touch 24/7. You always meet up at the Greensdale Park. It's only a 10 minute car ride and since she's a year older than you and you just got your license, you could go wherever you want. Except for the party last night.
Let's get back to that. When you were about to walk out the door, your mom stopped you and told you you couldn't go since you stopped spending "quality family time" for a while now. Then you rolled your eyes and walked back upstairs while muttering "That's because I grew up.." Luckily your mom didn't hear that, or you would be in big trouble for "talking back." You were a junior in high school and you didn't want to be treated like a kid anymore. Plus, this was the first time you ever got an invite to one of Natasha's party! My life is just a sad mess.. I'm a teenager! I'm not 12 anymore! Ughh..
When morning came, you tried your best to keep a smile on your face. But you thought she probably knew you were still annoyed from last night cause she kept quiet during breakfast.
Now, back to the bus. Lucky me. Apparently, you were the only empty seat left. So you tried to ignore him by putting on your earphones and blasting songs from your favorite singer. Justin Bieber. Yeah, I love the Biebs. So what? Anyways, what came up was Kiss And Tell. I heard a scoff coming from my right.
When I saw who did that, it was New Guy looking at me with an "Are you serious?" look. I took both of the earphones off. "May I help you..?" I replied with a questioning look. "Nothing.. it was nothing.." He has the most adorable British accent.. "Come on~. Tell me please? I hate it when people do that." I said. "Fine. Are you seriously listening to Justin Bieber?" New Guy said. Once he said that, you had your eyebrow raised and showed a "oh no you didn't" look. "Yes. In fact I am. Do you have a problem with that?"
"Nah, nah. It's just that I know music, and that ain't it." I bet I looked pissed off when he said that. "Plus, he stole my girlfriend." Now, you were totally confused about what he just said. "Say that again please?" you replied. "He stole Selena from me! I mean come on, he's to bloody short that she would probably have to bend down to kiss him." Right when you heard the word Selena in that sentence, you just started laughing. Your laughing became harder every second. "Okay. You can stop laughing now," he said. "Wow. Okay, nevermind. Is that why you hate Justin Bieber?" "Yeah. Why did you start laughing earlier?" Then when you started laughing again, he started laughing too. Then, both of you started laughing hard cause you started laughing harder and he started laughing harder cause you started to laugh hard. Does that make sense? Oh well. You only started laughing harder cause he looked really cute when he laughed. Like he was truly happy. His greyish-blue eyes seemed to sparkle everytime he laughed. Then, the bus finally stopped. When you guys got off the bus, you guys started to walk toward the school entrance together. "So.... I'm Stephen." he said. "And I'm ________." You said. "Well, here's my locker," you said stopping at your locker. "Nice meeting you Belieber." You smiled and giggled. "Nice meeting you too Selenator." (Sorry if that's the wrong name for Selena's fans!) "Hope to see ya soon, bye love." he said with a smile back. "Bye.." you replied with a sigh when he started walking away. This could be a start of a new friendship.

~

After school, you went straight to the Greensdale Park. When you guys met at your traditional spot, the biggest tree closest to the playground, you called Miranda. Apparently, she was already on her way. When you saw her, you hugged and told each other about your days. Then, you finally decided to tell her about Stephen.
"Umm.. I met this guy today and-
"YOU MET A GUY TODAY?!?! Is he cute? Is he Australian? Does he have an accent? Or, OOH! Does he have a British accent? Ohmygodthatwouldbesocute!!!!!! What does he look like? OMG, does he look like Taylor Lautner?!?! MARRY HIM THEN. You guys can both have cute kids, then-
"BE QUIET SO I CAN TALK." That made her shut up. "Finally, ok, let me tell you. I met him on the bus." "OoooOoOOooooOooooooooOOOoh, the bus~" I laughed at her childishness. But hey, I love her. She's my best friend. "Anyways, we started talking. And yes, he had a British accent. Then I started laughing by something that happened. I don't really wanna explain everything so I just think this is the start of a nice new friendsh-" "LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!" she started yelling and started to jump up and down. I started blushing and my shoes looked really interesting all of a sudden. "OooooOOoooooooOooooooOoOOOooh, you blushin girrrrrlll." "Shuddup." I replied. Then she started talking about how she was gonna fail on the AP tests that were coming up soon. Thank God for the change of topic. It was almost 4 and my mom would think that I'm trying to get away from her so I said goodbye to Miranda and left.

(7 months later)

"Hey loser." "Hi dork." Yup. That's the usual start of the day. From that day on, 7 months ago, we started talking. A LOT. Like, we would always text each other and call and tell the other about their lives. By the end of the month, it felt like we were the best of friends already. When he was 9, his dad bought him his first guitar and taught him how to play. But two days after his birthday after he turned 10, his dad passed away from a house fire, but his mom survived cause she was at work that day and Stephen was at school. He was almost crying everyday for a year after his dad died. He became more quieter at school. He started getting bullied just because he was quieter than the other kids. But he found a way to express himself. Through his music. He writes poetry too, that's what helps him with his lyrics. He always uses the guitar his dad gave him to give himself inspiration.
I felt heartbroken after he told me his story. I swore to him that after that day that I would always be there for him. That no matter what the situation is, I'll be there to comfort him. After that day, he also acted more like himself. Before that, it was like he was trying to hide who he really was. I'm glad he broke his shell. Also, after that day I felt so stupid! I thought I was the one with the sad life. He is one of the reasons why I value life more. And.. umm.. I kinda.. have a small crush on him. Only small! Don't point fingers at me! He never said anything or showed any signs that he liked me or anything, so I practically have no chance with him anyways.. And it's okay. I value our friendship more than anything and I wouldn't want it to end just by a stupid little crush. Anyway, back to lunch.
We started talking about regular stuff, the annoying teachers, the way Ms.Statler, our math teacher, is always so strict on us all the time. We think she would be more happier if she had her own man. Anywho, I noticed something that was a little bit.. off. Stephen was always so happy all the time and bubbly around me. But.. for some weird reason he's acting a little quiet today.. I just hope that he hadn't figured out about the small little crush. "Hey, can we meet up at the Greensdale Park after school today? I kinda have to tell you something.." "Of course." At that time, the bell rang. "See ya after school," I said. "Peace out love," he replied. I hope he isn't mad at me or anything..

~

I wonder where he is.. *Beep Beep* It was a text from Stephen. It said:

heyya love :D meet me at the bench near the playground :)

I replied:

only if you say the magic worrrdddd.... :)

*Beep Beep*

PLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!!??!?!? :}

I texted back:

fineee. :) i'll be there in 2-3 min. dork, see ya!

*Beep Beep*

byeeeeeeeeeeeeee loser(:

When I reached the bench, he wasn't there yet. So I sat there and waited, played with my phone so I don't look like a loner.
"________." I was startled by someone saying my name behind me. When I turned around, it was Stephen. But he was holding a guitar. He sat down next to me. He stared into my eyes and started playing.

(now in italics are gonna be the lyrics of the song he "wrote")

I've been beaten down,
I've been kicked around,
But she takes it all for me.
And I lost my faith,
in my darkest days,
But she makes me want to believe.

I call her love, love, love, love, love.
She is love, and she is all I need.

Well I had my ways,
they were all in vain,
But she waited patiently.
It was all the same,
all my pride and shame,
And she put me on my feet.
]
I call her love, love, love, love, love.
She is love, and she is all I need.

And when that world slows down, dear.
And when those stars burn out, here.
Oh she'll be there,
yes she'll be there,
I call her love, love, love, love, love.
I call her love, love, love, love. love.

She is love, and she is all I need,

After the song was over, I was literally crying. With tears streaming down my face. Sobbing. And it was kind of embarrassing cause I'm an ugly crier... I'm kind of off topic.. let's get back to the point. He looked kind of confused when he saw me crying but comforted me anyway. After two or three minutes of embarrassingly crying into his shoulder, Stephen asked if I was sad. I blushed since I noticed how long I was crying. "That was just.. that was the sweetest and coolest thing anyone has ever done for me. Wait. You did it for me.. right?" It would be so EMBARRASSING if he just sang it to me to practice to sing it to some other girl. Oh gosh. What have I done. "No, no, love. I sang it for you of course!" I visibly let out a sigh of relief once he said that. "So?" Stephen asked. I was confused. "So.. what?" Stephen chuckled at my obliviousness. He looked down shyly and blushed. "Will you, _______, be my girlfriend..?" I felt so STUPID for not realizing! "Yes, of course." I giggled when he looked at me like I just turned blue. His big greyish-blue eyes were staring at me like he couldn't believe what was happening. After he knocked out of his faze by me having to wave my hand over his eyes to bring him back to Earth, he gave me the biggest hug possible. I couldn't frickin BREATHE. But I hugged him as tight so I guess we're even. After that, out foreheads touched. I felt it was like Heaven on Earth. Was this what it feels like when you're about to be kissed? When we were leaning in and our lips were centimeters apart, I suddenly felt a finger push my lips away. I gave him the "umm, you kind of ruined the moment here" look. "Wait. I need to ask you something." My heart started beating faster because what if this was all a trick? "Yes..?" I replied. "If I kissed you, would you tell?" he said. I had to think for about 5 seconds, until I bursted out laughing. I was literally crying of how cheesy that was. Once the laughing died down, Stephen asked me, "Can I still get a kiss?" with a cheeky look. "And what if I tell?" I said. "Just remember to stay off that facebook." he replied with a cheesy smile. "Just kiss me already you dork," I replied and finally, our lips touched. You know that feeling that every romance novel and movie says that when you kiss someone, and you just feel those sparks? I'm pretty sure I just felt that. Or maybe I just got electrocuted and couldn't give a flying fish about it cause come on. I WAS KISSING STEPHEN. When we broke the kiss, we both smiled at each other. And that was the moment I fell in love with that stupid, British, dork. But hey, he's my stupid, British dork.

        Oh, the song that Stephen wrote for YOU was She is Love by Parachute. Sorry if the song didn't fit the story, it's just that I couldn't find any other songs that could relate close enough. And during the chorus of that song, it was originally:

They call her love, love, love, love, love.

But I changed it to:

I call her love, love, love, love, love.

So it would fit the story more.

Oh, hah. And sorry for the cheesy ending. xD And if you guys didn't get the "If I kissed you, would you tell?" part, look back up at the top where they first met. :D