"Come on, Adrian, it's so big in here!" My little brother, who was acting like a child despite actually being 14, called joyously. I was still sitting in the car, staring at our new house with doubtful eyes.

"No thanks, I'm fine in here," I replied, pulling my legs up to my chest. The house was huge, stone, with overflowing bushes of multicolored flowers that seemed to swallow the house whole. The forest surrounding us seemed hesitant, like the trees were unsure of who we were.

Basically, the whole place gave me the creeps.

"Adrian, come help us get these boxes inside," Mom said, giving me a knowing look. "I know it's hard, but you'll get used to it, I promise."

"Whatever." I rolled my eyes and pushed myself out of the car. I shot one last glance to the car, the only familiar sight now, and starting grabbing boxes from the moving truck.

I guess our lives have never really been easy. But moving someplace; to another state, it was hard. It was different than anything we had ever done. I thought about this as the cardboard edges dug into my hands, my legs still aching from the ride. I slid through the door, pressing my back against the frame while trying to squeeze into the house.

The house itself creaked and groaned like an old person in a nursing home. It smelled of wood and old rubber boots. The scent took me back to my uncles old house, the log cabin that I had basically grown up in. The feeling of nostalgia hit me hard, making me swallow down a sob.

I set the box down on the ground in the dining room, where boxes were already being stacked up. Panting now, I turned back out to exit the house, sweat dripping down the back of my neck.

Mom and Liam were outside, Mom heaving boxes out of the truck and Liam running around with a huge grin on his face. I smiled at the scene. That kid was a dork.

"Adrian, I need you to grab me some scissors from the glove compartment, I think this is the box with Liam's books." Mom was lugging a giant box away from the truck, sweat coating her skin as well.

"Sure," I said, running to the car, opening the driver side door and grabbing the scissors.

"Thanks," Mom sighed, taking the scissors out of my hand.

I nodded. "No problemo."

"Just a few more boxes, then we'll eat and be done for the night," she huffed, pushing a blond lock out of her face.

"What's for dinner?" I asked, pulling a box out and facing her.

"I was thinking peanut butter and jelly," she replied, cutting open the box and nodding at the books.

"Want me to start making them when I get this box inside?" I offered, resting the box on my knee.

"Oh Adrian that would be amazing."

Dinner was filled with laughs full of sticky peanut butter as Liam and I threw insults and jokes at each other. Mom smiled at us, using her finger to wipe up the remaining jelly in her plate and then licking it off.

"So, how do you guys like the new place?" She asked, setting the play down. Liam and I looked at each other.

"It's... it's old..." I offered, trying to smile. "It's really nice Mom, I think we'll be good here. I can't wait to explore the woods, though."

"Me too!" Liam agreed. "I wonder if there's any creatures out there..."

"Well, just make sure you spray yourselves before going out, to keep away the bugs. Also, stay away from the pond, I don't need you falling in and getting sick."

Liam gasped. "There's a pond?!"

Mom nodded. "Yeah it's a little ways along the trail. Just keep a few feet between you and the water."

"Okay," Liam and I chorused.

"You have three hours to explore, then it's going to get dark and I want you inside," Mom commanded, picking up all of our plates and standing up. "Have fun."

"We will," I assured her, kissing her cheek.

Then we put on our boots and ran out into what we thought was just a forest, but turned out to be something much more.

-

EEK

I'm a total nerd for this type of stuff. I can't wait to writes this one.

-Tay