Chapter 1 ~THE BEGINNING OF THE END~

I awake to a bright light, my arm instinctively moving to cover my eyes. Somebody quickly jerks my arm back to down my side, as I see a tube fill up with blood, and I scream in pain, beginning to squirm around. Everything is in terrible pain, my leg wrapped up in a long, white, strap. Tears begin to pour down my cheek, as the thought of my little sister being alone wraps inside my mind.

"Where's Peep!?"

The people in a white uniform look at each other, confused. "Who is Peep..?"

I sit up immediately, the uniformed people having to hold me down, as I hear a loud beep getting faster and faster. They begin to yell at me, creating a massive commotion around the building, people gathering outside to watch. I can't stop crying, like a fool. I reach for my scarf, putting it back around my neck, Peep's name imprinted on the end.

After a while, they get me to calm down, and I see a little girl peek in through the doorway. Her bright blue eyes are the same shade as my sister's used to be. She walks in, and hands me a small teddy bear, then hugs my arm. My eyes fill with tears, as I sit up, then pull her up onto my bed and hug her close.

"Thank you, little one," I say with a gentle voice, as I feel her small hands begin to grab onto my shirt tightly. "What is your name..?"

She begins to move her hands around, looking up at me. I give her a look of confusion, poking her hand.

"Is there something wrong with your hands?", I question. She giggles a little, shaking her head and taking out a notebook, handing it to me.

My name is Ruth. I can't speak, which is why I use my hands. No, I don't wave my arms around for no reason. If you don't understand, I use a certain language called sign language, which my parents taught me before I was left in a box. The hospital took me in, and gave me food and my own hospital room to "live" in. The nurses here are very nice, and always make sure I'm in good health.

I look back up at her, then pull her close. She snuggles up to me, curled up in a tiny ball. A tear runs down my cheek, and I wipe it away with my sleeve. She has cinnamon hair that feels as soft as silk, her skin is that perfectly tanned colour, and freckles just under her eyes. One of the nurses walks in, looking at me. I look back at her, right in her eyes. She chuckles a little, as I realise that Ruth had fallen asleep.

"I see you've already made a friend," she chuckles once more at me.

I give her a little chuckle, pulling Ruth closer. "Yeah. How long has she been here?"

"Six years. She's turning eight this year," The nurse says as she walks over , running her hand through Ruth's hair. "Nobody knows what had happened to her. She was just left in a small box on the sidewalk. No sign or anything." The nurse sits on a chair next to the hospital bed, sighing.

"I.. I lost my sister down a creek. I don't know where she is.. Nobody does." I feel a lump form in my throat, as tears start to form in my eyes. "She doesn't know how to survive out there.. I need to get to her!" The beep starts to get faster again, my other hand gripping the bed. The nurse lays me back down, putting a hand on my forehead. It somehow feels relaxing, and I hear the beep start to slow back down again. I think it's some sort of stress-measuring machine. I open my eyes, as she's looking down at me, putting two fingers right under my jaw. I hug Ruth close, scared.

***

A few weeks have passed since I've been in the hospital. Ruth taught me that's what they were called. I sit up in my bed, adjusting my scarf to loosely hang down from my shoulders. Ruth always surprises me when she walks in, but she's never been here this late.

The nurse walks into the room, tears running down her face. I look over at her, confused, the lump in my throat from my first day forming in my throat. Something happened. The nurse hugs me tight, her tears running down my back. She begins to speak, with a very stuttery voice.

"Ruth won't be seeing you again for a very long while."