Yellow Rubber Duck

Start bij het begin

He quirked one eyebrow upwards and pursed his lips. "Are you saying that I don't have fun?"

Yes. But there was probably a better way to phrase it. "I'm saying that you could stand to have more of it. Go out with your friends and get wasted and come stumbling back here at three in the morning. Just because you're a dad doesn't mean you can't enjoy your twenties. They'll be gone before you know it."

Pondering that extremely sage advice for a moment, he nodded slowly before narrowing his gaze in my direction as though he'd realized something fishy about this entire situation. "You say that like you're middle aged."

I grinned, placing my hands on my hips like I was a superhero. "Just wise as hell."

"More wisdom from your mother?" He asked the question quietly, as though he wasn't sure it was appropriate.

But I didn't mind; of course thinking about my mom made me feel a little sad, but I would never move forward in life if all I did was feel sorry for myself. So I kept my smile wide to assure him that his words hadn't upset me in the slightest. "That one was a Cecily Jacobs original. Next time, I'm gonna charge you."

Pressing his lips together, he attempted to hold in a laugh, but ended up chuckling anyway, shaking his head in defeat. "Fine. I'll call Benji and tell him I'll be ready in ten."

"Good," I nodded triumphantly, reaching over to grab the nearby towels so I signal the end of bath time to the twins.

Flashing me a smile, he blew a kiss in his kids' direction and exited the bathroom to find a change of clothes, calling out over his shoulder, "Thanks, CJ."

The use of a nickname left me momentarily stunned and I wondered if over the course of the past few days, we'd progressed farther in our relationship than I'd realized. Returning his smile, I turned towards the tub and shook out one towel. "Alright, sweeties, who wants to get out first?"

Audra volunteered, so I picked her up over the edge of the tub and wrapped her in the towel, rubbing her hair dry with the open ends and doing the same with Finn a few moments later before gesturing for them to head into the bedroom to change out of their swim trunks and into their bedtime clothes.

Jaxon was lacing up a pair of black boots when we entered, glancing up and smiling instantly at the sight of his children using their towels as capes as they raced into the room.

"Hey!" he grinned, holding out his arms for a hug one both his shoes were tied up. "Come here, babes."

He pressed a kiss to the tops of each of their heads before looking at them seriously. "I'm going out with Uncle Pete and Uncle Benji, so I won't be here to tuck you in, but you two be good for Cece, okay?"

"Okay!" They sang out in almost perfect harmony. Their father had trained them well.

Widening his smile, he pulled them against his chest to hug them one more time. "Good. Give me a goodnight kiss."

They obliged by kissing him on each cheek and he returned the favor before standing up straight and heading towards the bedroom door, nodding gratefully at me. "Thanks again, CJ."

"No worries," I replied, glad that he was finally getting to blow off some steam. "Have fun."

"Love you guys," he called out to the twins as he opened the room door and stepped into the hallway with one final wave.

I turned back to the twins with a smile on my lips. "Alright, how about we get you into your jammies and brush your teeth and I'll read you a bed time story?"

Agreeing with wide grins, they raced towards the suitcases to find their pajamas and forty five minutes later, the three of us were snuggled into bed, me the farthest to the right as I lay on my side, and read to them from Green Eggs and Ham, a nighttime ritual which was interrupted by a knock on the door.