Chapter One ϟ Fresh Start

Start from the beginning

"Yes, I'm going to be late, again." With that he took off running towards the door that read stairs in bold red letters.

Brennan gave a small smile before the lift doors opened and she walked into it.

Her foot hit the cement as she stepped out of the cab just after handing the very nice old man the money for her ride. She slammed the yellow door shut and the vehicle drove off. Turning away from the street her eyes scanned the building taking in the sight of where she would be working for however long she decided to stay.

Taking a deep breath she began to stride forward into CCPD. As she lightly marched into the main office she was taken aback by all the tension. It wasn't an awkward tension or one of anger it was just as if everyone was busy focusing on a task and they didn't want to be bothered.

She glanced around the room before spotting a very familiar figure.

"Detective West, it's so good to see you again." She watched as the colored man in the light blue button up turned around at his desk. He smiled at her before stepping forward.

"Brennan Merlyn, how are you doing kid?" He asked wrapping his arms around her in a hug. Detective West knew how hard the last month most have been on the young girl. Once, he had a case that led him to a lead in Starling City and meeting Brennan.

While he was at the police department talking with Detective Lance, this young brunette wearing a navy sundress with a pink floral pattern on it, light brown leather jacket, and tan ankle booties walked up to the desk, a bag of big belly burger and a cup of coffee dangling in her slender fingers.

"Hey Uncle Q, ready for lunch?" She spoke, her hazel eyes alight with happiness. Her pearly whites sparkled as she smiled at him.

Detective Lance gave a small smile back in disappointment. "Sorry sweetie, I'm going to have to take a raincheck. We have a lead on a case that we are partnering with Central City for and it has to be dealt with right now."

A frown fell onto her lips but the happy aura that she presented didn't fade. "Okay, but you can't cancel on me next time. Laurel says if you cancel on us one more time you don't get invited anymore." She joked with a giggle and a smile at the end.

"It's a deal, Pumpkin." Lance gave a real smile this time before Joe interrupted it with a cough. Quentin glanced over remembering that Joe was here. "Oh, right," He started, "Brennan, this is Detective Joe West, Joe this is my daughters' best friend Brennan Merlyn."

Joe stood to shake the girl's hand. "Merlyn? As in Malcolm?"

Brennan nodded. "Yes, that's my adopted father. He's not around much though so, I spend my time bothering Detective Lance when I need a fatherly figure. And put that hand down, I'm a hugger."

She lightly slapped Joe's hand away before wrapping her arms around the man that was almost a head taller than her giving him a good squeeze before letting go. "It was nice to meet you, Detective."

"Likewise," Joe stated and he truly was. This girl was like a bottle of sunshine.

She turned to Quentin the smile never leaving her face as she thrust the Big Belly Burger bag towards him. "I guess you can take this but don't tell Laurel that I brought it to you. She'll kill me if she finds out I've been helping you eat unhealthily."

"I won't let her know." Detective Lance chuckled along with Detective West as Lance grabbed the bag from the girl setting it down on his desk.