Chapter Two - Bury the Hatchet

TALLIE

For whatever reason, he said he would go along with it. I was still dumbfounded that Mama and Mrs. Jernigan had come up with the idea of us getting married to begin with, and I wasn't positive that I was fully on board, but Hunter Fielding had agreed to marry me, and now everything was moving at the speed of light. I needed to make up my mind, once and for all, before it was too late. Yes, Mama and Lance insisted that I had no choice and was going to have to marry someone, but I was a grown woman. An adult. I had choices. And marriage? That was a big decision to make, even if it was essentially to be in name only and would have an expiration date.

The meeting with the Thunderbirds brass took place on Tuesday morning. That afternoon, Daddy and I sat down in his office with Hunter and his agent and hammered out the details for the prenuptial agreement.

"You'll live together as husband and wife for one year," Daddy explained to the other men. He'd already gone over all of it with me, Mama, and Lance well before now. He and I were seated on one side of the long board table at Roth & Rainier, the law firm where he was one of the two primary partners, while Hunter and John sat across from us. "All money and possessions that started out being Hunter's will remain Hunter's. The same will go for Tallie. Upon your divorce, everything that she comes into the marriage with will leave the marriage as hers. You'll maintain a single residence but separate bank accounts."

"Who will own the house?" the agent asked.

"Hunter buys a house," Daddy answered before I could interject. "He'll need one to live in after this all washes over, anyway, since he'll still be on the team. You'll live in it together to give the impression of being as completely head-over-heels in love as possible. What happens inside that house with the doors closed is your business and yours only, no matter what her mother and that ass Lance may have to say on that matter."

Heat raced to my cheeks as I remembered what I'd said earlier about not necessarily remaining celibate. The fact was, Hunter was hot. Seriously gorgeous. He was about half a foot taller than me and solid muscle. His dark hair was too long and curled a little where it hit his shoulders, and he hadn't shaved in a couple of days, with a bit of scruff lining his square jaw. Everything about him screamed Man, with a capital M, from the defined muscles of his forearms to the deep, gravelly sound of his voice. He'd been wreaking havoc on my girly parts since the moment he'd walked into the Thunderbirds offices earlier, and I couldn't seem to get my hormones under control. At least not while he was staring at me like he was right now. Something told me he was remembering what I'd impetuously said, as well.

"Speaking of Lance," Hunter said. There was a surly, grumbly tone to his words that shot straight through me and made my temperature rise again. "Who the hell is that guy and what does he have to do with anything?"

I blinked, but Daddy didn't say anything to answer him. I supposed that meant it was going to be on me to explain. Daddy and Lance had never gotten along. The sooner he could get Lance out of my life, the better. I was almost positive that was why, out of everyone involved, Daddy was the least upset about my mishap in Cancun and the most receptive to the idea of me getting married. No more pageants. He assumed that would mean no more Lance. I wasn't so positive about that, considering the way Mama was pulling Lance along to participate in every aspect of the aftermath.

"Lance Benton. He's my pageant guru," I said feebly. Anyone who'd been involved in the pageant world would understand in a heartbeat, but to the rest of the world, a guru was sort of a mystery. Mama had hired him when I was still just a baby and too young to voice an opinion on the matter, and she'd kept him regardless of whatever complaints I might have about him because he was the best. He got results, and he was the reason I'd succeeded. That was what Mama said, at least.