“What are you all smiles about?” I grunted.

“We have new clients coming in at the end of the week,” she announced cheerfully. I scowled.

“I thought you’d be happy.” She frowned, registering my mood. I looked up at her from under my eyelashes.

“Don’t give me that look. What’s wrong, blue eyes?” Usually, I didn’t mind the nickname. Especially because her endearing southern accent came out when she was concerned, but after the phone call with my insurance agent, it made me frown.

“You know I told you my doctor had that terrible car accident, right?”

Stacy nodded. I filled her in on the conversation I just had over the phone. She could tell how annoyed I was when the noodle strainer slipped from my hand as I spoke, cursing in mid-sentence.

“Well, good, when is your next session?” I heard her crimson nails clacking on the bar’s counter when I finished.

“Two days.”

“Whoa, that’s not much notice.”

“Exactly my point. And a complete stranger.” My tone was exasperated as I mixed the meat, spaghetti, and sauce together.

“I’m sure they will be informed of your case.”

“I know, but a total stranger…knowing all that. I know it’s all confidential, but I’m just going to shut down again.”

“No, you can’t do that, I won’t let you. You went through hell and you’re finally starting to be you again. Just pretend it’s Mayweather.”

I snorted. “Easy for you to say.”

“Hey, I want to kill Kenneth from time to time.” I turned to smile at my friend and busied myself with putting the rest of the meal together. We always ate at my or her place on Sunday nights. Usually we go over work for the next week and have a glass of wine together…or three.

Kenneth was her boyfriend of three years. I’ve known Stacy for three times as long. We met in college and have been practically inseparable since. We rose through the ranks of web design of a small company, Jespersen Designs and were a great team. She brought in the clients and I worked with them to design whatever they needed.

I put down our plates while she poured the wine.

“Cheers,” we both said, tapping our glasses together.

“So who are these clients?” I asked.

“Well, they need a website designed for the private practice they are starting together, some field of medicine. I haven’t had much time to look over the portfolio yet.”

“Did you at least find out their names?”

“The main financier is a Kyle and his partner I think the portfolio said Ethan or Evan, but I haven’t looked much yet.” She shrugged taking a bite.

“Friday, then?”

“Yep, as usual. We have Cooper and Terry to deal with first thing this week, though.” I just nodded.

New clients, new therapist…my week was beginning to look busy and stressful. We ate the rest of our meal in comfortable silence and did the dishes together. We settled in my living room and discussed the rest of the week’s business for the next hour or so.

My mind was distracted. I began to feel a little overwhelmed with these new changes. My thoughts drifted to Jerry. He had made a great defense for himself and had gotten a fairly lenient sentence. One year in jail and five years’ probation on parole. The restraining order had and would stay maxed out upon his release, a thousand yards away from me for the rest of his life. I would find out more information later, when my lawyer sent me the conditions of his parole and release as informational. It made me nervous that he would be out in three or four months’ time.