Chapter 1 || Parents

Hey guys welcome to the new book. Just to stress this at the start. This book is going to be short. I originally had this idea for a one shot but it ended up being to long. So I made it into a book. Enjoy

Also be proud, this is the first book cover of mine that is not black and white. Yay! Haha, ill probably change it later though 😂

Noah's PoV
"Noah! Come ere', look at that collar. Let mummy fix it for you"
Complained Riley, leaning up to fiddle with collar of my shirt.
"Stop squirming, will you? You're making it impossible for me to get the back"
She feigned annoyed, pushing her hands behind to the nape of my neck to fix my upturned collar. Ugh. She always does this! She is such a perfectionist.
"Mum"
I whined. She gave me a slight tut before pulling away and examining my appearance.
"There you go"
She said patting my chest.
"Much better!"
She replied with a smile, looking up and down. She stopped once more at my face before furrowing her eyebrows. Oh what now?  Do I have toothpaste on my cheek? Hair gel on my forehead?
"Oh gosh! Noah you must be more careful! You must have cut yourself on your razor. Nothing that mummy can't get rid of though"
What is she going on about now? I watched as she licked the pad of her thumb. Oh god no! No she is not going to actually-well guess I was wrong! I felt the spit drag across my cheek as she rubbed back and forth. I squirmed underneath her touch.
"Noah stop wriggling! It's bad enough that I have to lean up onto my toes to reach you now. Don't make this anymore difficult for me!"
She replied helplessly, jiggling up and down on her tippy toes. I wish she would stop 'babying' me! I'm seventeen for gods sake! Not seven.
"Riley! Stop it! He looks fine. You need to stop worrying"
Reassured a voice from on top of the stairs. Oh thank goodness! Dads here!  I watched as mum slouched down onto the ground once more before staring up at him.
"And where have you been, James?! They are bound to be here any minute!"
She said crossing her arms nervously. Who is? All I know is that dad has invited one of his old band mates round for dinner. That's why mum's going crazy! She wants everything to be perfect! For us to be the perfect family. I don't know why she is trying so much though, from what dad has told me about John, he's just as loopy as him.
      Dad tumbled down the stairs before approaching mum carefully.
"I was in the attic searching for some old recordings of the band performing. I thought we could put them on after dinner"
He exclaimed happily. Oh! That would be cool! I've always wanted to see dad actually playing. The words James and musical instruments don't mix much anymore. He had to give it up to run The Next Step. I watched as mum's eyes widened at the word 'attic'
"Attic...dust...suit.."
She mumbled under her breath. Shit! Dad's in trouble!  I looked down at his knees only to see them covered in dust. Oh he is so dead! Mum let out a groan before hitting him on the arm.
"Hey! What was that for?!"
Complained dad, rubbing his arm.
"You idiot! They are going to be here any minute and you're covered in dust! What were you thinking? Oh you need to change. Now! We can't have them seeing you like this! I'm sure you should have another pair of tro-"
She was cut short during her rampage by the slight ring of the doorbell. Well..looks like the guests are here!
"I'll get the door"
Said dad before walking towards it. However he didn't get far because he was soon pulled back by mum pulling on the back of his collar.
"Oh no you're are not! Get up there now and change! I'll keep them entertained until you arrive"
She told him pointing to the stairs.
"Bu-"
"No buts! Go!"
She said again. Even though they are middle aged they still act like teenagers. I watched as he grumpily walked up the stairs.
"Faster!"
Mum shouted angrily behind him. Gosh! I don't think I've ever seen him run so fast. He is really scared of her. Actually now that I think about it, I have on many occasions felt the full brunt of her anger. That wasn't even the worst of what she can do!  I shiver just thinking about it.
"Noah! Come ere'! Come stand beside me."
She says expectantly. I have no choice but to walk over to her position beside the door.
"Are we all okay?"
She says glancing down at her outfit before looking over to me.
"Noah, tuck in your shirt. It's poking out at the side"
Ugh. Really? There is always something.
"Mum, they're waiting"
I say softly, nodding towards the door while also tugging my shirt into my black trousers.
"Is your shirt buttoned? Shoes polished? Trousers pressed?"
Asked mum relentlessly. Oh come on! I don't have to be perfect. I nodded my head yes to keep her happy. Even if everything wasn't perfect, it's not like I have time to go and change.
"Oh good! It's showtime Noah"
She responded before flinging the door open with a bang. Well there goes the hinges!

Hehe hope you enjoyed. ☺️
*Updates may be slow for this book*