"What should I do with Gui's report then?"

"Honestly? I think you should crumple it up and find a trash can. His report was written solely because he didn't like her when he was in charge and he likes her even less now. Mark my words, one day, he's going to snap and end up being hunted by us. He doesn't want her around for that because he knows he can't outsmart her or manhandle her the way he does other women. He's the one you need to be watching, sir. Not Aislinn Cain."

"Fine, Marshal Henders, for now, she remains your problem. If you are correct in all your accusations against Gui, then I will of course, file the report in the appropriate trash bin. Until then, keep a tighter leash on her. I do not want her face flashing up on news reports. There is no need to glorify a monster."

Gabriel chuckled. It didn't lighten the mood.

"We glorify monsters every day, Cain is at least worth the glorification. You know, you really want to understand her place on my team, you should visit the prison. Go take a survey or something of them about US Marshal Aislinn Cain and look at the results very carefully. Most of the bad-asses inside that place will tell you what I'm about to tell you, they wouldn't want to fuck with her. Most agree she'd kill them, sir. Those that are smart enough fear and respect her. Those that don't, never make it inside The Fortress."

"Are you done with the theatrics?"

"It isn't theatrics. You don't get a fan club of serial killers behind bars without a reason. Marshal Cain has a fan club there and they are all sending in requests to be interviewed by her and McMichaels. The Tallahassee Terror described his encounter with Cain as enlightening and of Cain herself, he said 'she is the boogeyman of serial killers. When we have nightmares, we dream of her.' But then you have that report, maybe you should re-read it, sir."

"You're excused."

Gabriel left the office shaking. The small man in the expensive suit smiled. He took Alejandro Gui's report and shredded it. He'd been right to go with his gut. Aislinn Cain was going to be just fine hunting down serial killers. Gabriel Henders was right, she knew how to survive. He stood, adjusted the stack of papers on his desk, and picked up the phone.

"I'd like to be connected to Special Agent Malachi Blake," he told the woman who answered the phone.

"This is Blake," someone said after a few moments.

"I've just heard from US Marshal Henders about their last case. I thought you'd be interested to know that Aislinn Cain killed another serial killer."

"Imagine that," Blake gave a short bark of laughter. "With reason I hope."

"Oh lots of reasons, he was trying to kill her. Henders trusts her survival instincts enough to leave her in the woods with a serial killer and expect her to walk out."

"I told you she'd be a good fit, once Alejandro was gone. I didn't expect his demise to come as it did, but, then, shit happens and he should have been more careful."

"Are you still worried about her?"

"I will always be worried about her," Malachi answered. "But she's going to attract them to her regardless of whether she has a badge or not, so she might as well be a Marshal. Besides, Lucas and Xavier have become attached to her, so they will help her when it's needed."

"You know she has a fan club inside The Fortress?"

"Yes, serial killers think she's great."

"Malachi, I know it's none of my business, but do you love her?"

"I am incapable of such a thing, but if I weren't, then yes, I'd love her. As it is, she is the only person that fills the void for me."

"Do you want me to continue to watch her?"

"No, it's not necessary, I'm sure you're busy with whatever it is you do."

"I sit on the board that controls the Serial Crimes Tracking Unit. I get all the reports."

"It's fine Uncle, I just wanted to make sure that Gabriel didn't feel the same way as Alejandro."

"All right, I have to go. I'll see you later." The man hung up. He motioned his secretary who was frantically waving her arms through the window, into the room.

"You have to be in court in thirty minutes," she said as she came in.

"I had business to attend to," he answered.

"Judge Greer, I know that the Serial Crimes Tracking Unit takes up some of your time, but it's a board, some of the others could help more."

"Barb, one day, you will understand why I let it take up so much of my time. What am I dealing with today again?"

"You have a tough one, the prosecutor is Nyleena Clachan. The defendant is Ramon Vega, suspected spree killer out of New York. The FBI handled the case and someone bungled something, so Clachan is out for blood and you know how brutal she can be."

"Bungled how?"

"They missed catching him for six hours because an FBI agent didn't check in when he went for lunch. Clachan is demanding his badge. She's going to crucify him on the stand."

"And rightly so," Judge Greer grabbed his briefcase. "Barb, go home for the rest of the day, you look tired."

"I was up all night sorting through paperwork," his secretary admitted. "We had seventeen reports filed on the Alaska case."

"And?"

"And most were favorable. One from a state trooper said that if the team had worked harder, they would have caught him faster, but he was the husband of a victim during the end. His sister-in-law was also a victim and the killer's wife."

"File it with the rest of the complaints," Judge Greer told her.

"Will do, I'll shred it and make sure that it makes it to the incinerator today."

"Good, see you tomorrow." Judge Greer left his office and met his driver in the parking lot.

"I see you are in a good mood today, Judge," the driver said to him.

"I am. I love it when things work. To court, driver, and make it snappy," the judge laughed.

"On it," the driver slipped into the car.