1. Only Just A Dream

She was running through the desert, her feet slapping on the hot sandy ground.

She could see him in the distance. She knew him, but she didn't.

Her heartbeat was loud, sounding like thunder in her ears as she raced along the bland path.

He was getting further away.

She side stepped a stone just to trip over a dead tree log.

It was out of place, but somehow there.

She glanced up and noticed he was only a speck of dust.

She sat against the tree and let herself cry. She knew it was too good to be true.

That she would finally find him, that she would finally catch him. Tell him....

What?

She glanced down at her golden skin, remembering flashes of different skin colors.

The quiet was interrupted by a low hiss, her only alert to the snake that was now nearly on her lap.

She couldn't help but scream—the wrong thing to do, as her mind supplied seconds after the sound ripped from her throat and startled the large snake. She hated snakes.

The snake attacked.

 ~

Aura woke up in a cold sweat, covering her neck with her hands to protect her from the snake that wasn't there, but that she could still feel slithering on her skin.

She swore under her breath. She hated that dream, but it was the one she had most, even if she had been free of it for almost two weeks.

It always began while she was in a temple of some sort, among many other people.

She witnesses a man with no face, but definitely attractive, a few feet from her. A sense of longing and familiarity sets in, her heart beat begins to hammer with the desire to be near him again.

He sees her, and for a moment he seems to recognize her, a look of what she can only describe as love covering his face. Then, his face morphs in a look of panic and terror, which confuses her most of all.

He begins to run and every time—even though she tells her dream self that it's useless—she runs after him.

Aura shook herself and glanced at her clock, groaning when it read she had an hour before she was supposed to get ready for work.

There was no use, if she tried to sleep again, she might be the black slave that was shot when she was inning from her captors, and towards the man. She could be the English Duchess who was married to some old man who used her for her money, a punishment dealt when she snuck off after the same man who always haunted her dreams one night.

She seemed to have all these scenarios and once she sees the man, her life goes to hell one way or another.

She grabbed her laptop from her nightstand and opened up Google. For what seemed to her like the millionth time she logged onto her dream site, the one she’d even invested money in after all of her dreams had become so vivid, terrifying and real. She relied heavily on the explanations it offered.

A psychic had once offered her the explanation that it was in fact her past lives she was experiencing in these dreams and she had thought on it before, but the realization came that if those were her past lives, she was stuck with a similar fate this lifetime as well.

As they say, ignorance is bliss, and Aura could vouch heavily for that. She’d lived 21 years in ignorant bliss, and she was content there.

First, she typed in Egypt. Her dream took place in Egypt, and even before th page showed up she knew what she would be greeted with.

To dream of Egypt indicates the roots and core of your own emotions and spirituality. It suggests of a time in life where things may have been simpler.

Next, she typed in the search bar, ‘snake’, knowing the first few sentences by heart, and always carefully avoiding the rest of it, which she found concerning.

To see a snake or be bitten by one in your dream signifies hidden fears and worries that are threatening you. Your dream may be alerting you to something in your waking life that you are not aware of or that has not yet surfaced.

Nothing new showed up, to her aggravation, but then again, she knew there wouldn’t be anything. She typed in chasing next, sighing loudly as she got the same results as always.

To dream that you are chasing someone signifies that you are attempting to overcome a difficult goal or task. You may also be expressing some aggressive feelings toward others

“Oh, I’ll show you aggressive,” she mumbled as she pushed her laptop away and climbed out of her bed. She needed a shower, since the feeling of that disgusting snake was still creeping along her skin.

Like always, she couldn’t forget her faceless, nameless man. He was the star in all of her dreams, she knew she’d never met him. She had never even seen him in her life before, but he haunted all of her dreams and her thoughts and even some of her actions.

She would constantly find herself looking for him, checking around her to see if he was near. Sometimes she swore she felt eyes on her, or the familiar tingle she usually felt in her dreams when near him but she had never seen him.

One part of her screamed at her to find him, that he was what she was searching for—what she was missing this whole time. It told her that he would have the answers, that he would be able to piece everything together for her.

The smarter part of her told her rationally that it is a dream, he was only a dream. It told her that she was searching for something simple, running from her fears and worries and feeling aggressive towards humans overall.

Then there was the tiny sliver of her that whispered that he really was part of her past lives and that if she ever found him he would run and she would end up screwed beyond belief.

15 minutes later she switched off the steaming hot water and attempted to clear her mind once and for all of it. It was no use to think about it if she could help it, because chances were she wasn’t going to magically see him today of all days.

The only thing that stayed with her throughout all of her life and stayed in her dreams was this one pendent. She swiped it off her nightstand, and studied the beautiful metal slab with the intricate etchings.

She had no idea how or when she had received it but she knew that it was a huge part of her life. It was like a permanent attachment to her body, except when she slept. When she sleeps with the necklace on, the dreams seemed to intensify.

She didn’t feel safe without it any other time, so she would take it off only for bed and usually put it on immediately after waking up.

The floral designs curved their way along the Celtic style knot, it was heavy in her hand and filled her with an instant peace the moment it laid against her skin.

Glancing at the clock as she hung the necklace over her neck, she noted it was time to actually get ready for work and did so feeling a little better than she had woken up feeling.

---------

This is a preview of, yet another, story I am working on. However, I can't get to updating this until one of my other books is complete. I hope you enjoyed and that you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it. Now I will go work on something I'm supposed to.