Twist and Shout by gabriel and standbyme

Note: This is technically an Ao3 story, but you can almost guarantee that at any given moment there is at least one copy of it on Wattpad.

Author(s): gabriel & standbyme on Ao3.

Summary: What begins as a transforming love between Dean Winchester and Castiel Novak in the summer of 1965 quickly derails into something far more tumultuous when Dean is drafted in the Vietnam War. Though the two both voice their relationship is one where saying goodbye is never a real truth, their story becomes fraught with the tragedy of circumstance. In an era where homosexuality was especially vulnerable, Twist and Shout is the story of the love transcending time, returning over and over in its many forms, as faithful as the sea.

Type: Angst, smut, historical fiction, drama.

Various Warnings: Homophobia, drug use (including alcohol), depression, PTSD, warfare, violence, terminal illness.

Our Thoughts:

This book is arguably the most well known Destiel fanfiction. Ever. Fans that haven't even read the book can recognize it by name. Heck, it even has its own sub fandom.

This book lays on the angst thick. It probably left 99% of readers crying or thinking of crying.

Have you ever wanted to read a book guaranteed to make you want to punch a wall multiple times? Do you want to read a book with a great plot and an incredible amount of work put in to it? Or do you just want to understand all the inside jokes? Then this is the book for you.

Let's face it, there are a lot of books that are way better. I personally would not have respected or loved this book so much if I hadn't known that thousands of fans were going through the same pain I was. You can most definitely find a book that's better than this one and more engaging, but you will never find a book that will leave you with such a strong feeling of camaraderie to your fellow Destiel lovers.

This book may feel drawn out and way too long at some points, but at the end of the day, one incredible plot and thousands of inside jokes later, you will leave Twist and Shout feeling like you should never go to the beach or touch a glass of milk again.

The Best Comment(s):

"I can dig Elvis"
How about you dig my grave first? - Tay from Ao3