Chapter 6

Feyre

As Tamlin slid under my covers, my body tensed. It was an involuntary movement that I instantly buried deep within myself as I relaxed my muscles.

We had not been intimate since my return to the spring court and apart from small gestures like stroking my arms with his callused fingers or brushing his mouth against my cheek he had made no physical advances. There had been hints though, in his tone of voice, in his smouldering, green eyes.

Talking had never been our primary means of communication. No, we had used our bodies, and skin to skin, we had found each other. It had only been a matter of time before Tamlin would try to re-establish that bond between us.

Breath. I had to think clearly, to deflect his advances without raising his suspicions. I checked my mental shields, making sure that my mate would not suddenly receive images of Tamlin in my bed. I did not need Rhys' poorly concealed anger to mix with my own disgust.

Tamlin's warmth hit me as he put his back against the headboard, so close that my shoulders grazed his sides, stone-hard and muscled beneath his green tunic. I forced myself to relax against him. Traitor, murderer, liar my mind droned on as I gave him a broad smile.

"Feyre, we need to talk." He repeated, his eyes hard at the edges, but lined with so much softness that I flinched. I merely looked at him, expectantly, waiting for him to continue.

"I know..." he coughed to strengthen his voice "I know that you need time to heal, to understand that you are home, safe. I know that you need peace and quiet, but..." I wanted to laugh out loud. I did not want peace and quiet, I wanted to be useful.

I put a tentative hand on his arm. "I've told you that I want to help. I want to do anything I can to make them pay. To help my sisters." My voice was strong – he needed to see some of my strength. See that I would not break, if he included me in his plans.

He sighed. "Yes. That. It's... difficult Feyre. I just got you back. This was supposed to be the happiest time in your life. We were supposed to be happy. We deserve it, after Under the Mountain." I winced at that and he stroked my hair in comfort. I wanted to slap his hand away. I couldn't bear his tenderness. Not after he had sold out everything. His life, my life, the life of every being in Prythian and the mortal lands. I made my mind blank, and forced my body to lean slightly into his touch.

"I know. And we will have that, Tamlin. But not before we have dealt with the threats to our court." The words grated against me. Our court. I glanced at my glamoured right hand. For my court.

Tamlin took a deep breath beside me and said, "It's about Ianthe." My head whipped around to look at him, my eyes blazing with anger. "What about her?" I said tightly.

"I know that what she did was horrible." An understatement, but I managed to give him a curt nod. "I've spoken to her and she is sorry Feyre."

"Sorry?" my eyes were calm, too calm. "Yes. It's not enough but she explained her reasons to me. She made a mistake Feyre. A terrible mistake." I could feel the roar of power that rose in time with my temper.

"A mistake, you say? She sold information to the King of Hybern, to ensure her own power and my sisters paid her price." My voice sounded different, strong and unrelenting. I had to be careful, and keep balancing between strength and obedience.. Calming waves met the fire in my veins, dulling it to a faint burning of embers. I let my voice break as I whispered. "My sisters are fae, because of her betrayal, and I can't..." My voice trailed off and Tamlin's eyes filled with pain and anger. "I know," he said, tucking my hair behind my ear, running his thumb down my cheek. Bile rose in me at the intimacy of his touch and I had to turn away, pretending to wipe a tear from my eye.