Chapter 12: Can't Deny It

Start from the beginning

I slightly turned my head to see Riley, her wet hair sticking to her face. I turned around completely to face her. "I thought you were studying with Lucas," I muttered, shivering. She just shrugged. Riley must've noticed because she took off her leather jacket and draped it over my shoulders. I almost automatically took it off. "No, Riley. You'll get sick without your jacket," I said, handing it back to her. Riley softly chuckled. "Whatever. I know you're cold," she said, handing her jacket back to me. I sighed as I put it on, trying to hide my chattering teeth. Riley grabbed my hand, pulling me forward. "Come on. We need to get home. We're already wet as it is," Riley said.

I released my hand from Riley's and pulled her back. "No. I'm not going back home until we talk," I said, firmly. It was my last chance. I had to take it.  Riley sighed. "Fine. But we're going under a tree," she said. We hurried over to a nearby tree that was dripping water on us. Oh well. "Ok, what's wrong, Maya?" Riley asked me, crossing her arms. Adrenaline shot through my veins, anger taking over.

"Stop acting oblivious already! You know what's wrong, Riley! You....You keep leading me on with almost kisses and leave when Lucas comes around! I know you don't love Lucas! If you did, you wouldn't have let me almost kiss you!" I hissed angrily, my hands clenching together into fist.

"Maya....." "Don't Maya me! And when I told you I was in love with you, you acted like it didn't matter and went right back to Lucas! I'm done, Riley! If you won't be truthful with me, then what's the point anymore?" I interrupted, furious.

Silence. "First of all, I do love Lucas. Second, I never meant to....lead you on it anything. It's just....I'm sorry, but I only love you like a sister, Maya. And you know that. We promised we wouldn't let anything get in between our friendship. But this is," Riley said, breaking the silence.

I was finally rejected. I knew Riley would never let anything get in the way of our friendship. And I was afraid that I was getting in the way. But you can't control who you fall in love with. You can't really control feelings. I also knew Riley hated to be proven wrong. But she was wrong.

"Riley, you can't deny any of my claims. You're wrong about this, ok?" I said softly, grasping Riley's hand. She almost automatically pulled away. "I'm going home. See you there, I guess," Riley said, then started to walk away.

Pause. Just pause the world for a second. Everything was moving too fast. I was about to lose my last chance with Riley. I wasn't about to lose the love of my life to Lucas. Resume. I ran up to Riley, grabbing her arm and pulling her back to me. There were only centimeters between us at that point. "What do you want now, Maya?" Riley muttered, barely audible. I took a deep breath and grabbed Riley by the cheeks. "Let's just see how you react when I do this," I said before gently crashing my lips onto Riley's.

My moment. Just as I expected, Riley doesn't pull away from me. Instead, she kissed me back. Out of the blue, the rain cleared, the clouds came back in view, and a small rainbow appeared. Oh my god. Seriously? Riley and I pulled away from each other at the same time and turned to look at the rainbow.

"Well, you can't deny anything else that comes out of my mouth anymore," I muttered, reaching over to grasp Riley's hand. Riley said nothing, her cheeks as red as a tomato. "We should just get home, Maya. My mom is probably worried about us," Riley muttered, starting to walk. She let go of my hand during the process.

Oh great. I ran up to catch up with her. "So....What about Lucas? Are you still going to date him and forget that anything happened like you would usually do?" I pestered. Riley stopped walking, her face showing anger. "Yes, I'm going to remain dating Lucas. But since you technically ruined our friendship, Peaches, I'll...I'll think about us. But for now, we're going to remain friends," she calmly said. I clenched my teeth together to refrain from saying anything more.

I walked ahead, my arms crossed. No matter what I do, she'll always choose Lucas. But why? "MAYA, WAIT UP!" I heard Riley yell from behind me. I turned around, my arms still crossed. "Don't even bother talking to me anymore, Riley. No matter what I do, you'll always choose Lucas. Even after we kiss, you still choose Lucas. But I'm done. Done with you," I hissed before walking ahead. I bit my lip to refrain from crying. I just couldn't take the pain anymore. Riley was breaking me.

...

Riley was laying down on her bed, looking up at the ceiling. I was at the bay window, catching up on some history homework. Riley and I haven't talked for 40 minutes. I was literally dying inside. I was being pulled apart at the seams, and I couldn't fix myself back.

I closed my history book, breathing heavily. The homework was making my head hurt. I need to talk to Riley. Now. I stood up from the bay window and strolled over to Riley. "I know I said I was done with you and all, which I still am, but I just have one question," I muttered, grasping onto Riley's nightstand for balance.

Riley turned to face me. Her face seemed to be wet. A pang of remorse hit me, but I ignored it. "What is it?" She choked out, crossing her arms. I sat down on the edge of Riley's bed and gulped. This is such a weird question.

"Did you um....Like the kiss?" I murmured, fiddling with a loose piece of thread on Riley's duvet covers. Silence. Riley finally sat up, taking a seat next to me on the edge of the bed. "You're a good kisser, Maya," Riley said, barely audible. I could feel myself blush. "I'm going to take that as a yes," I said, grinning.

This was my real moment.
..............................................