Chapter 01: Apocynum

Start from the beginning

Not roses, that's old, he though. Hmm, maybe those pink ones.

He heard someone approaching, and turned to the attendant, thinking of asking for a bit of help in deciding what to buy. And as soon as his eyes landed on the person standing before him, he froze, his whistling halting abruptly and his gaze fixed on those clover green eyes in front of him.

"Sorry about that, now, how can I help you?" said the young woman, a gentle smile on her pretty face.

It took Evan only a second to recover and snap out of his daze. In an instant, he was smiling and speaking with his nicest tone.

"Hello," he paused, glancing at the name tag pinned to the dark green apron the young woman wore. "Sascha, I was just looking for a nice bouquet of flowers to give to someone, but I just can't decide what to buy. I'm not very good at picking flowers," Evan said, laughing sheepishly.

The girl behind the counter just smiled understandingly.

"Of course, I'll do my best to help. Now, are the flowers for a special occasion? Maybe for a young woman?" she asked.

Evan laughed and shook his head.

"Well, I guess, but it's nothing special. I just thought it would cheer her up. She's been having a rough week," he lied, because while Laura was pretty damn hot, there was something about the flower girl in front of him that just attracted him and he wasn't about to waste a chance.

"Well, that's very nice of you," she laughed.

"How about some gerbera daisies, to brighten things up for her," she suggested, pointing to some rather large and colorful flowers.

"Sure, those look great," Evan agreed, after only a quick look.

Sascha began the task of preparing a bouquet with the flowers and Evan watched her work, taking the chance to look at her more closely. She was slim, with pale skin and light brown hair, loosely curled and tied back in a ponytail. Her clothes were plain, just jeans and a sweater beneath the apron she wore and from what Evan could see, not much of a cleavage. In all honesty, she wasn't his usual type, but Evan still liked her. Sascha was very pretty, her face finely shaped and perfectly suited for the gentle look in her eyes. Freckles crossed her slightly upturned nose and dotted her cheeks. Long lashes framed her pretty green eyes and a soft smile seemed to brighten her face.

"Here you go," she said after a while, and Evan immediately turned his gaze away from her chest (not that there was much to look at, or anything at all, really) and back up to her face.

The bouquet turned out pretty nicely after all, and Sascha had even tied it with a big red bow. Evan thought, if in a week he regained his interest in Laura, he'd be in good shape already. He paid for the flowers and was going to make his move when an older woman walked in, greeting Sascha warmly.

Guess I'll come back when it's less busy, he thought, because the two women were already chatting amicably.

He left with a wave and a grin at the smile he got.

Laura was very pleased with the flowers after all. She gushed about how she loved daisies and how Evan was so sweet, but he only listened to about half of what she said, leaving when he was bored of the praise. Drew was watching, mildly impressed, as Evan succeeded in getting Laura's attention, a bit curious as to why the man was walking away without a phone number.

He didn't ask about it until lunch time, when him and Evan walked to the usual place where they ate.

"So, how'd it go with Laura?" he asked as the waitress left after taking their order.