prologue

Just this one last exam. Sabrina Nixon thought to herself, after this I could take a nap in gym, and then it was all over. She just had to pass this damn exam.

She shifted nervously in her desk chair as she waited for her Math teacher, Mr. Montana, to give out the math exam that she had been dreading oh-so much. It didn't help that she was already nearing failing, but Mr. Montana was the toughest grader, and he seemed to take delight in failing students. At that moment, she would ask for anything to get herself out of this exam.

And she got exactly that.

The loudspeaker went off, signalling that there was an announcement that must have been urgent and unplanned by the look of unhappiness on Mr. Montana's face.

    Her dark brown hair was let down for the day, but with the amount of stress she was under, she contemplated putting it up.

    "Hello, students of Midtown High School. It's your principal Mr. Madison and I-" he was cut off by a muffle and what she swore, sounded like crying.

    While everyone was usually spaced out, the whole class seemed to be sitting up straight and paying complete attention to what their principal had to say. She looked around the class and noticed that her classmate Lexi, who she had shared a few words with before, was sobbing uncontrollably. Whatever Mr. Madison had to say, she already knew.

    "I regret to inform you, but one of our students has passed away. May we all take a moment of silence, for Gwen Stacy."

    In that moment, a million things seemed to play out. Mr. Madison's sobs could be heard from across the school, Lexi broke in, her head slumped over her desk as she let her head lie on her desk, tears pouring from her eyes. And the classroom, it held a silence that it hadn't before. The only sound that could be heard was of people crying.

    And Sabrina? She wasn't aware on how to feel. The name hit something in her, she recognized it as the blonde girl from English that always smiled. She had maybe talked to her once, but everyone knew her. Everyone loved her...

    The silence was broken quite quickly by a boy from the back of the class. She hadn't noticed him until today, but he stood up and grabbed his backpack from the floor before running straight towards the door. His face was blank, but she knew she saw tears streaming down his cheeks. He swung the door open and left the classroom. No one stopped him.