Eight

We left the morgue and went to a funeral home to plan my sister's funeral. There weren't very many people there, but one person looked really familiar. He looked like my old friend from elementary school.

"Davy?" I walked up to him.

"Wait, Jess?" His face lit up.

"Yes! How are you?" I asked, giving him a hug.

"I'm alright. My father just died, and we're planning his funeral now." He sighed, changing the mood in the room. "Why are you here?" He asked.

"My sister died, and we're planning her funeral, also." I tried to swallow the lump in my throat, but I failed.

"Hope? She's gone?" He asked. Disbelief in his eyes struck me in my core. How did he know about Hope?

"Yes, but how did you know about my sister?" I asked.

"Everyone did...you didn't?" Confusion was clear on his face.

"No, I didn't. It's very complicated." I told him.

"Well I am so sorry. It was great to see you. We should exchange numbers so we can talk soon." He said and we switched phones and entered our numbers before separating.

"Oh, Davy. He was always such a sweet boy. How was he?" My mom asked.

"He was alright. His father just passed." I told her.

"Oh that's terrible. Did you tell him about Hope?" She asked.

"Yes, and he already knew about her. But not that she died. Why did everyone else but me know about my sister? Why was she hidden from me for all of these years?" I bombarded my mother will all of the questions that had filled my mind since I found out about my sister.

"This isn't the place to talk about this, dear. And this really isn't the time." She said with a blank expression on her becoming pale face as she walked out the door.

"Mom! Where are you going?" I yelled to her as she walked across the parking lot.

"I need to call someone." She turned around. And then she spoke.

"I need to tell your father."