Chapter 4 (18) Daring Rescue(unedited)

Start from the beginning

***

They left, I'm actually surprised that they left. I guess that means they are not just monsters. Saltaner has mostly environmental damage but considerably less than I expected. That was good and I was proud that we only lost a few buildings and that there was less than a thousand casualties but I can't help but feel there was more that could have been done. Not that I could go back and change the past without altering the entire outcome of the battle. Argos said there was a ninety-nine point eight percent chance it would only make things worse. None of the casualties had been from my crew which was a surprise to everyone.

Zane is concerned about Collin's condition, I read the reports and I agree that he might not want to keep dealing with the war and decide to leave. I wouldn't blame him but Dr. Guis said she could give him an arm to replace what he had lost but wouldn't act without his agreement. She removed his arm to save his life and she wouldn't forgive herself soon for doing even that. Collin has shown no signs of permeant damage physically other than his arm but should be awake soon to talk to the doctor. Also to talk to his sister who insisted that she see him as soon as possible so she is going to be there when he wakes up maybe she can keep him sane. I don't know but I do know Zane will be down there as soon as word spreads that he is awake and I can't blame him, I can only sympathize with them but regardless I need my second in command and I will deal with that as things play out. Before I let my heart get the wrong idea out, I am hurting with them and no matter how much I wish for a chance to chose who I love more, Zane or Rehana but fate is sealed and I will settle for what I have which is a beautiful wife and a damn sexy best friend.

A loud shout pulled me from my thoughts and reminded me I was sitting in the captains chair of the Argos Explorer. People moved away from Commander Jones and Lieutenant Veers, of course, it would be Nathan causing this. He is a good officer a benefit to the crew in most cases but wha he claims he often takes to far causing chaos, then again it didn't start till Ves died which was my fault. I haven't forgotten, that night keeps from having a good nights sleep. If only I had listened to my instincts, maybe just maybe I could still ask her for advice.

I see Veers take a threatening step towards Shiro who, to my surprise, takes a step back meaning I need to have. Talk with the lieutenant but before I get up Shiro turns around and walks out of the room with veers shouting at her, "Get back here and face me, Traitor!" I shouldn't have zoned out and let Veers do what he did, I don't know what all he said but I know he opposed Shiro being commissioned into the fleet.

I follow them quickly and notice I am being followed by Zane as the yelling continues and we both start running as we hear a scream of pain. We stop when we see Veers slumped against a wall. Shiro's handy work by my guess.

"Zane go check on Shiro, I'm going to take Veers to the medical bay." It's all I say before Zane runs off, he won't be gone long because of Collin but this will take his mind off of him for a little while. It might be good for him but at least it doesn't look like I am going to lose my second in command.

***

She can't take it, she knew what people would think of her for her past, still she never cared about what was thought about her. Shiro was alone again, Commodore Balitar had done more than give her a chance. No matter if it was intentional or not she stole Shiro's heart and opened the wounds of her past. Since she was a little girl the purity war and even before has been one scar after another. What hurt the most was the words used against her, the ones that even used technically were incorrect.