I stood, walking into the kitchen as my brother and his daughter removed the food from the oven. It smelled great, the scent reminded me of my mothers cooking. She would always make special dinners for us on holidays. She had even tried when she was sick... the vivid memory of helping her kneed bread covered my mind. "Sam?" Nathan asked, staring at me from across the counter. I shook my head, shaking the memory away. "Sorry- just." I sat down at the table, looking over my family. It was strange, sitting at a table with a beautiful meal prepared for me- I had a family, I was used to it just being Nathan and me. For a very long time, it had just been me and Nate. I'd been his only family, and now his all grown up with his own wife and child. More than I could say I had.

-

My eyes opened, the sunrise cutting through the blinds and into my room, painting the white bedroom in a pastel pink. Guana Island was on the list for today, I rolled out of bed and downstairs. I was the first up, I dug through the kitchen looking for coffee. I finally found some and brewed it rubbing my face and yawning. This constant traveling would take a toll on me. The sound of creaking wood behind me made me turn my head. Alaya stood there, her white nightgown covered by a silk shall. We stared at eachother, like deers in headlights. I didnt know if she was still upset, or if she was angry at herself for showing weakness. She studied me, in the dawn light. We had no words to fill the empty pastel silence between us. "Its interesting." She finally spoke after a few minutes of quiet. "How, out of all the people in the world- Victor picks me... Its interesting how people come back into your lives. Even if you havent spoken in twenty five years." she said. "Fate has decided our paths will be intertwined and we have no say in the matter."

I took a sip of the coffee, looking at her as she stood in front of me."We always have a choice, you could pull a gun on me right here and kill me if you so choose." I said. She lowered her eyes for a moment before they met mine again. "Free will is a lie, if I were to do that who's to say that wasn't the path I was destined to take." she retorted. "I disagree, perhaps we do have a path planned out- but we also can choose not to follow that path. Perhaps every time we die, we relive our lives a different way... perhaps there was a Samuel Drake who didnt attempt to murder Alaya Scarlet Guillory." I said. Moving closer to her. "Why do you use the last name Scarlet, its not even your last name." I said, changing the subject when I saw her step away from me.

"So people cant track me down-" I gestured to her police badge sitting in one of the drawers. "It says Alaya Guillory." I held it up before handing it to her. She took it. "My fathers last name, Guillory... I had a doll when I was little, she had red hair like mine- I named her Scarlet Van'trease. She was a beautiful super hero who saved all the good people and punished the bad, but she was tricked one day into thinking ill of someone- and she became something she'd always feared." She was looking at her hands.

"Scarlet doesnt have to be bad, she can still redeem herself." I said, placing my hand on her face. She looked up at me. "You dont know her, you dont know what she did-"

We where interrupted as Cassandra walked into the room. She let out a surprised gasp as we jumped away from eachother. "Oh, god- I ruined it didnt I- god damnit." she stomped her foot. "No, cassandra- nothing was happening." Alaya said to her. "No! You two where about to kiss- weren't you!" she said.

I glanced at Alaya in surprise. "No... actually. Cassandra, we where talking about what happened." I lied, I wasnt going to Kiss Alaya- was I? Well that didnt matter now. "You two are perfect for eachother, cant you see that??" Cassandra was getting frustrated now. I walked over to the kid, putting my hand on her shoulder. "Cas, life doesnt work like that- maybe you think two people are perfect for eachother but you hardly know enough about us to say that." I said to her. She frowned. "Alaya, is a tough and beautiful woman- able to hold her own against any man or woman who faces her. You're smart and crafty, together you two could be unstoppable." I laughed softly at my Niece's interpretation of our personalities. "This isnt a superhero movie, we dont need to be unstoppable- we just need to be strong enough to stop whoever is trying to hurt us" She sighed softly. "I guess."

Alaya left the room. "I'll get Victor, the flight is in four hours- get your stuff ready." Cassandra raced off towards the room she'd stayed in to collect her stuff, I did the same. We all met in the kitchen. We would be taking Alayas private Jet from a small airport north of here. We all piled into the car and headed towards the airport. French music poured from the radio as the car cut across the road. I watched Alaya in silence as she drove, her eyes locked on the road. We arrived and we boarded her plane- we were doing this as discreetly as possible to avoid what had happened in Hawaii.

Before long we were up in the air, Cassandra amusing herself by spinning her chair around. Victor enjoying a Whisky and Alaya staring out the window. She was extra sullen today, she had barely looked at me. I couldn't understand that woman, no matter how hard I tried- I just couldnt understand her. One minute she hated me the next she was crying on my shoulder. I didnt know if she really hated me, or hated herself. I felt like an asshole for what I did, but that was twenty five years ago-