Chapter 28

We had been in the mountain for a week now. Everyone had found a temporary place to get settled for the time being. Going through some of the memories, I had found a change of clothes that once belonged to my grandfather. The soft furs still smelled like him. I had even found some of his old rings and I slipped them onto my fingers. I felt whole. I felt like a king.

Everyone was gathered in the treasure room, searching for the Arkenstone. I couldn't get the jewel out of my head. This was the final step. This was the only way that I could become the true king.

I had sent the company to take a break for food and rest after searching for two hours. There was still no sign of it. I couldn't stop searching. I was driven, the stone was deeply on my mind, I wouldn't stop now while I was so filled with determination.

I was walking through the piles of gold, lost in thought. All these riches, they could lift my people from poverty. They could get my people through everything they've ever lost. This could fix everything. Our wealth was beyond measure, beyond sorrow, beyond grief. This was what my father and grandfather had worked their whole lives for. This treasure was everything.

"Thorin?" I blinked, and then smiled at the sound of that sweet voice. Nemirien was standing in the midst of the gold piles, and I noted how the reflected light of the precious metal shined on her yellow hair.

"What is it, my sweet?" I asked. The little Elf had what appeared to be a bowl of soup in her hands.

"I thought you might be hungry. I brought this for you." she said.

"Thank you, Nemirien, but I'm really not that hungry." I told her.

The little Elf frowned at this. "Really? Are you sure?"

I nodded. "I'm positive...why do you ask?"

Nemirien took a step forward. "Thorin, you haven't eaten much of anything for three days now. I think that you may be hungry and you just don't realize it." she said.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. Had it really been that long since I'd eaten? I couldn't exactly recall when my last meal was, but I really didn't feel hungry. But I took one more look at Nemirien's expression. "Alright, if I take the soup, will that bring a smile to your face?" I asked.

Nemirien innocently fluttered her eyelashes. "Yes." she said as sweetly as she could, causing me to laugh.

"Alright, you win. Hand it over." I told her, and she handed the bowl to me gratefully.

I headed over to the staircase to sit down, and I saw Nemirien walking further up the stairs. "Where do you think you're going?" I asked. The little Elf turned around and furrowed her eyebrows, causing me to raise my own. "Don't give me that look, Nemirien. You really think that you can give me food and not join me at the same time?" I asked. Nemirien let out a giggle and came back to sit next to me.

I took a small sip of the soup, and the minute I swallowed, my stomach felt empty. I really was unconsciously starving. How did this happen? Shaking off my thoughts, I drained the bowl in a matter of minutes. When I was finished, I looked at Nemirien, who was looking around the treasure room.

"What do you think?" I asked.

"I remember it being bigger, but I guess that's because I was smaller back then." she told me casually. Nemirien picked up a ruby from a nearby pile. "I like this one for you. It'll really bring out your nose, as if it wasn't big enough already!" she teased.

"Really? I guess that means I should find something for you then? Perhaps I'll find some cuffs for your ears. Something that will make them appear even pointier!" I joked, giving her ear a little pinch.