Sara scoffed, “Forget about him at the moment, I have more imperative news to share” she said nervously.

I winced as I sat up, my back aching from being hunched over yesterday when cleaning the deck. I shuddered at the memory. How in the world had I stomached that experience?

“Addie stop dosing off” Sara exclaimed.

I stifled a yawn, “I’m up, what is this “imperative” news?” I asked trying to mask the annoyance from being woken up in my tone. I failed miserably.

Sara bit her bottom lip apprehensively, “Did you notice that I did not come in to sleep last night?”

I shook my head, “I didn’t really notice anything last night. But I’m intrigued. Why didn’t you come in to sleep?” I asked genuinely curious now.

He took in a deep breath, “I stayed the night in Argo’s private quarters.” She whispered.

I gasped, “Why does he have private quarters and we’re sleeping in the bloody kitchen sharing a cot. Not to mention the rats!” I added. I stood up and began pacing, and then paused. I turned to face Sara slowly, her words ringing in my ears.

“You didn’t Sara.” I begged.

She bowed her head sadly; “I’m sorry” was all she said.

I blew out a large breath, “You’re sorry? How about you tell that to Argo when some crazy merman comes in here and clobbers him over the head with a conch shell?”

Sara winced at my words, “Addie, there’s more.’ She said with a pained expression.

I closed my eyes, “What more could there possibly be?” I asked quietly.

“I know what I said about not going from one man to another, but Addie, I think I may be in love with him” she rushed out.

I plopped onto the cot and dropped my hands into my head, “Anything else you need to tell me?” I asked.

“Oh well Loki told me to tell you that we’re not very far from the cure now, and that we’d better prepare to battle Indie for it.” She said cheerily as if that was brighter focus.

My heart began banging against my chest. If Indie got the cure first, he’d win me because of that stupid wager, and I undoubtedly die seeing as how I was irrevocably in love with Flynn.

Indie was cunning and a trickster not to mention he didn’t even flinch when cutting that man’s hand off. He’d be brutal to battle against.

“How are we to prepare? We’re not battling, the most you and I could is watch or stay below deck” I breathed.

Sara smirked as if she knew a secret that I didn’t, “Loki says it’s imperative that we know how to defend ourselves.” She said excitedly.

I felt a knot forming in my stomach, “What exactly does he have in mind?” I asked reluctantly.

“Sword fighting” she said with a grin.

My eyes widened, “Sara we cannot sword fight against men. We’ll be killed!” I exclaimed.

Sara rolled her eyes, “No we won’t. Loki says he’s a good instructor”

I scoffed, “Oh so that just guarantees our safety now because he says so” I said mockingly.

Sara nodded not catching the underlying joke in my tone.

I ran my hand through my hair. Things were getting serious now. We were close to the cure; there was a serpent on our tail, Argo and Sara’s forbidden love, my own love affair, and not to mention the fact that I may be sacrificed to some evil sea divinity.

“Just leave me be. I’ll be up in a moment, I must collect myself.” I said wearily as the intensity of our situation was bearing down on me. Had someone told me a year ago that I’d be a pirate aboard a ship in love with a cruel half fish captain and best friends with a mermaid all while battling deadly situations at every turn, I would’ve slapped them and presumed them crazy.

I stood up and straightened my clothes and washed my face, immediately feeling better. I put on my boots and made my way above deck.

The sun was high in the air while the sea breeze was cooling and refreshing. I closed my eyes as the sun’s rays warmed my damp face.

“Enjoying yourself are ya wench?” A crude voice leered from beside me.

I opened my eyes and face Emil, “What do you want?”

He smiled, his black teeth making stomach heave, “Oh nothing from you lass, just yer friend. I see that she is giving favors to the first matey. I wondered if her services were allowed to the other hard working men like myself.” He eyed my face looking for a reaction. Well it was his lucky day because that’s just what he got.

“You vile bastard! Refrain from speaking to me for the remainder of this voyage or you’ll find yourself without a tongue.” I sneered and spat at his feet.

He smirked and strutted off leaving me angry and livid. I seethed and thought of ways to dispose of his body without anyone the wiser.

“What was that about?” Argo asked as he draped an arm over my shoulder.

I pulled out of his embrace and shoved him, “You are the most selfish man I’ve ever met. We’re aboard a ship with men deprived of relieving their urges and you go about tempting them with Sara.” I pulled him closer to me and whisper in his ear, “What if they force themselves upon her?”

Argo pulled away just as I had and grabbed my arm pulling me below deck. He pushed me against the wall and leaned into me so close I could smell the sweat on him, “Do not speak of such things in those men’s presence and give them any ideas. Do you think I want that for her? I love her and I’ll protect her with my life” he whispered.

I immediately felt guilty for accusing him of just using her. Of course he loved her. He was smitten the moment she stepped onto this cursed ship.

“I’m sorry. I am just worried about her. These men aren’t what one would call respectable.” I said with a frown.

He smiled and pulled me into a hug, I returned the favor quickly. He was a wonderful man and he’d make Sara so happy. As long as no scorned merman was prowling around, they’d be fine.

He released me and gestured for me to return above deck before him. I mock curtsied and made my was back above deck.

 The first thing I saw was Flynn standing at the helm beside Loki while Loki held the map. My heart rate increased immediately. He looked simply striking; his trousers hugging his muscular long legs, while his buttoned up white shirt was un-tucked and billowing in the wind behind him, the sleeves gripping his large muscled arms. I fought the urge to walk over and run my fingers through his dark wind tousled hair. How was one not supposed to fall in love with such a perfect specimen?

I swallowed my anxiety and made my way over to them, “Good morning” I greeted.

Loki looked up and smiled, while Flynn merely glanced up, pursed his lips and looked back down to the map.

I frowned, “What is it that I’ve done now?” I questioned.

Flynn smiled cruelly, “Well since you’ve asked, you are the one who told the men to keep going without me being conscious were you not?”

I furrowed my brows, Yes but I—”

“You are the one who’s responsible then for what happened yesterday” he said matter of fact.

I gasped, “How dare you? You were rambling like a mad man. You would have been a nuisance let alone any help! I did the smart thing. Yes we’ve lost men, but tis your voyage that is killing us off. You and your damned cure! So do not dare try and blame that on me!” I fumed.

“You little twit—”

“Captain, we’ve got company!” A crew member yelled. We all turned around and locked eyes on the familiar dark daunting sails.

My blood ran cold, “It’s Indie.” I whispered.

Thanks for reading! Please don't be a silent reader. Leave a comment and vote if you liked the chapter.