12| Do We Have A Deal?

Start from the beginning

"Sorry, that's not--" I started.

"Let's get out of here!" Danie urges. She's acting like we're inside the diner.

I didn't even unlock the door, out of worry.

Isa and Danie are both disappointed in me and I know I would be the same if I were them. Just as we turn around, we run into two familiar figures.

I gulp.

Their timing's impeccable.

"Hey," Arsen smiles. My eyebrows furrow at the fake grin. "Pleased to bump into you three ladies on an early Saturday morning at this hideous diner."

"I'm not pleased," I mutter.

"I'm sorry, I don't recall ordering a glass of your opinion," Arsen replies dryly.

I scowl at his rigid face.

"Just tell them and let's go," Leo intervenes impatiently.

"Tell us what?" Danie asks.

"We don't need this trashy place anymore," Arsen says, pulling out a cigarette from his pocket. "Do whatever the hell you want."

Seriously?

Couldn't he say that before I ratted myself out to my infuriated friends, who actually mirror relief upon hearing those words.

As the boys turn to leave, I say, "Hey, wait. You dropped this, yesterday." I take his money out of my jacket pocket and hand it to Arsen. His face is expressionless.

Everyone eyes the note.

They consider Arsen and his gang poor, obviously.

"That's not mine," Arsen replies, handing it back and grabbing Leo's elbow.

"But I'll take it," Leo mumbled, snatching the note from me. Arsen's jaw tightens and he drags Leo out with him.

I frown at his and his friend's back as they leave the place.

"We're going home, too," Danie says.

She ought to be kidding.

"But guys, they just--"

They don't let me finish, however, leave me alone at the restaurant. Why are they still upset with me after danger itself bumped into us and said he's leaving us for good?

I sigh, leaning my forehead against the door. Why can't things unfold the right way? Loudly groaning, I sharply turn and evacuate the area. Needless to say, the only thoughts that juggle around in my mind are of my friends. I tug out my cell phone and text Danie and Isa continuously, praying they don't discard any of my apologies.

Behind me, a guy reiterates something in a loop, but with all the rowdiness around me, his words fall incoherent.

Nothing unusual.

As I'm just about to move a step forward, my shoulder's suddenly grasped and someone pulls me away from the street. A taxi speeds down the road and I can see the passengers glaring at me.

I didn't even notice I reached the end of the sidewalk!

"Whoa!" I murmur.

"Better watch your step, stupid," someone cautions. I meet his eyes and realize that Arsen just saved me from meeting a hospital or even my grave.

Didn't he leave with Leo for one of his drug deal meetings?

Just kidding.

It could be for murdering a person or robbing a bank or simply smoking on the roadside. Nevertheless, he saw me and saved me in record time, because otherwise, I would've been a flat, dead body splattered against the road.