Dinah hurries to take the open seat besides Normani, which leaves only one seat open in the room. Lauren is somewhat relieved when she realizes it's beside Ariana. But she's unnerved by the student on the other side of Ariana. Camila.

Taking a deep breath, Lauren makes her way over to the table and slides into the seat beside Ariana. The doe eyed girl glances over at her, giving her a soft smile.

"Hey," Lauren whispers. She glances around the room and realizes everyone else has their wands placed in front of them. She retrieves her from her backpack and sets it on the table, confused when a surprised murmur passes over the students.

Lauren doesn't need magic to know that Camila's heated glare is on her. She realizes that the other girl doesn't have a wand set on her desk. In fact, she's the only one that doesn't. Lauren bites her lip and keeps her eyes on the front of the room.

"It's come to my attention that we have two new students joining us today," the instructor motions around the room, walking down the aisle between their tables until she's standing in front of Lauren.

"Lauren Jauregui," she nods, studying the girl. She proceeds to walk across the aisle to Normani's table, taking a few moments to observe her. "And Normani Kordei. I've heard a lot about you two," she nods. "Powers like yours only make themselves known once every few generations."

Lauren doesn't like the attention on her. She can feel everyone's eyes on her, and she glances over at Normani. Her sister, on the other hand, doesn't seem to care. She's sitting up straight, hands folded in her lap, and chin held high. Lauren, however, is slumping down in her chair, trying to disappear.

"I'm Instructor Jhene," she nods, her heels clicking against the marble floor as she strolls back to the front of the classroom. "Today we're doing something a bit different than usual. More... unconventional."

Ariana could tell just by looking at Camila that the girl was confused. She loved her best friend, she really did. But she knew that Camila didn't like surprises. She had walked into the classroom expecting to mix potions like every other day. But now that plans have changed, a million different questions are racing through her friend's head.

The doe eyed girl glances over at Lauren, who just looks plain lost. Ariana can't imagine what it must be like for Lauren. All she has known has been the academy. She grew up in a magical family, unlike the green eyed girl.

"Everyone received their wands yesterday," the Instructor nods. "Today, we're going to get to know them a little better."

Before anyone even has a chance to ask questions, the woman in the front of the classrooms waves her hands in opposite directions and suddenly a thin trail of fire whooshes down the middle of their desks.

Lauren seems to be the only one who was startled by this, because moments later she's scrambling backwards and falling out of her chair. The entire classroom bursts into laughter and Lauren bites her lip to keep herself from crying.

Ignore them.

The green eyed girl's eyes widen and she looks up. Ariana is standing in front of her with her hand outstretched. Lauren just stares at her in confusion.

Don't make a scene. The girl eyes her pleadingly. I'll explain later.

Swallowing hard, Lauren takes Ariana's hand and hops back up to her feet. The fire is still on the desks, but it hasn't spread. It's as if it's contained.

"Did you just talk?" Lauren whispers, looking over at Ariana once they sit back down. The smaller girl shakes her head.

Telepathy. I'm in your thoughts right now.