List of Psychological Disorders (E-G)

1. ERECTILE "MALE" DISORDER (IMPOTENCE)

Etiology

Previously referred to as impotence, medical causes of this disorder must be ruled out first. Short of any physiological cause, male erectile disorder is typically a result of 'performance anxiety' or fears of not being able to achieve or maintain an erection.

Symptoms

Recurring inability to achieve or maintain an erection until completion of the sexual activity. Must result in significant distress for the individual and is not better accounted for by another disorder (e.g. drug abuse) or physical diagnosis.

2. EXHIBITIONISM

Etiology

There are different theories related to exhibitionistic behaviors, many stemming from the psychoanalytic camp. They suggest that childhood trauma (e.g., sexual abuse) or significant childhood experiences can manifest itself in exhibitionistic behavior.

Symptoms

This disorder is characterized by either intense sexually arousing fantasies, urges, or behaviors in which the individual exposes his or her genitals to an unsuspecting stranger. To be considered diagnosable, the fantasies, urges, or behaviors must cause significant distress in the individual or be disruptive to his or her everyday functioning.

3. FETISHISM

Etiology

Like most disorders in this category, many theories exist in an attempt to explain how this disorder develops. Most experts agree that there are underlying issues related to childhood which play a major role in the etiology.

Symptoms

Fetishism is characterized by either intense sexually arousing fantasies, urges, or behaviors in which the individual uses a nonliving object (e.g., woman's high heeled shoe, stockings) in a sexual manner. Typically, the individual requires this object to become sexually aroused and is therefore unable to be aroused without it. To be considered diagnosable, the fantasies, urges, or behaviors must cause significant distress in the individual or be disruptive to his or her everyday functioning.

4. FROTTEURISM

Etiology

Like most disorders in this category, many theories exist in an attempt to explain how this disorder develops. Most experts agree that there are underlying issues related to childhood which play a major role in the etiology.

Symptoms

This disorder is characterized by either intense sexually arousing fantasies, urges, or behaviors in which the individual touches or rubs against an non-consenting person in a sexual manner. This often occurs in somewhat conspicuous situations such as on a crowded bus or subway. To be considered diagnosable, the fantasies, urges, or behaviors must cause significant distress in the individual or be disruptive to his or her everyday functioning.

Treatment

5. DISSOCIATIVE FUGUE

Etiology

This disorder is very rare and occurs most often during extreme stress (such as wartime or after a natural disaster).

Symptoms

The primary feature of this disorder is abrupt travel away from home, an inability to remember important aspects of one's life, and the partial or complete adoption of a new identity.

6. GAMBLING (PATHOLOGICAL)

Etiology

There is an association with risk in pathological gambling, more so than financial gain for most individuals. Individuals diagnosed with this disorder are frequently highly competitive, overly concerned with approval from others and prone to other 'addictive' type disorders.

Symptoms

Persistent and maladaptive pattern of gambling which causes difficulties with interpersonal, financial, and vocational functioning.

7. GENDER IDENTITY DISORDER

Etiology

Theories suggest that childhood issues may play a role in this disorder, such as the parent-child relationship at an early age and the identification a child is able to make with the parents of the same gender.

Symptoms

A strong and persistent identification with the opposite gender. There is a sense of discomfort in their own gender and may feel they were 'born the wrong sex.' This has been confused with cross-dressing or Transvestic Fetishism, but all are distinct diagnoses.

8. GENERALIZED ANXIETY DISORDER

Etiology

Often anxiety gets generalized to other situations, and can then become overwhelming or associated with life in general. Typically GAD develops over a period of time and may not be noticed until it is significant enough to cause problems with functioning.

Symptoms

As its name implies, GAD is evidenced by general feelings of anxiety such as mild heart palpitations, dizziness, and excessive worry. The symptoms are difficult to control for the individual and are not related to a specific event (such as in PTSD) and are not as severe as those found with Panic Disorder.