"We're in a hurry," one of the men says. "We didn't have time for a background check. We're still in a hurry, so let's make this quick. I'm Agent Ralph. This," he motions to the man to his left, who has dark skin and dark brown hair, "is Agent Blake. And this," he motions to the man on his right, who had pale skin and blonde hair, "is Agent Joshua."

   "That's great," the coach says sarcastically. "Now tell me this: Why the heck are you in my gymnasium on the last day of school during these kids' final exams?!"

   "We need to see these kids," says Agent Joshua. He fumbles around in his coat pocket and pulls out a crumpled sheet of paper. He unfolds it and holds it out to Coach Ram, who reads it and huffs.

   "Green, May, Harris, and Wedge," Coach says, "front and center."

   Crap! I think, but I don't run for it. The other two kids will have to escape, too, and they'll need my help.

  I stand up and watch my best friend, Emma, stand beside me. On the opposite side of the gym, Jamal and Mark stand up. All four of us begin to make our way toward the government men when I make my move.

   "A-a-achoo!" I sneeze as hard as I can, and I fly ten, fifteen, twenty feet up in the air. I grin, take a deep breath, and throw my hands out toward the government men. A huge gust of air hits them and they go flying; they slam into the wall hard as I land back on my feet.

   Emma's eyes are wide, and everyone in the gym has their mouth hanging open. I ignore them and say, "I'll explain later. We have to go. Now."

   Emma doesn't question me; she just follows as I run out of the gym. Jamal and Mark just stand there with their mouths open, and I motion for them to follow. They hesitate, and that's all it takes for Agent Ralph to grab Mark's wrist.

   Mark cries out, and Jamal turns to help his cousin, but I'm already there, pushing him and Emma out of the door with a gush of air. I turn to Agent Ralph and, with my palms toward the ground, fly ten feet in the air, plant my foot in his face, and grab Mark's arm.

   Then we're out the door, breathing in clean, outdoor air.

   "What the..." Jamal says, at a loss for words.

   "How did you..." Mark stops talking, unsure of what to say.

   "I've known you since fourth grade, and so has Jamal," Emma says. "Neither of us has ever seen you—or anyone, for that matter—do that!"

   "Who knows?" I reply. "One of you may be the Air Master."

   "What?" Emma asks. "We can do that, too? Cool!"

  "Not cool," I say, "because we'll be hunted the rest of our lives by those government agents. They hadn't found me until now, and they found you, too, somehow. So each of you can either do air, water, fire, plants, earth and its metals, or force fields and electricity."

   "Wha--?" Jamal says, clearly confused.

   I sigh. "First, we have to get away from here," I tell them, "and then I'll explain everything."

   "Tell us now," Jamal says, "or I'm not going anywhere!"

   "There's no time!" I insist; two government men are running toward us right now—I can see them not far away. "We have to go now! Or they'll catch us!"

   "Not until you explain," Jamal says, and he sits down.

   I think about leaving him here, but decide not to. He's my friend, and he has the right to know. Plus, he's a stubborn kid, and he'd hold a grudge for years if I left him here.