Chapter2

I dropped my bags on the floor just as I stepped foot into my condo. I let out a sigh. School was dreadful. A 3 hour class felt like 6. All I could think about was what Carmen said to me. Maybe she was right but I didn't feel wrong for putting my work and education first. Dating just isn't my style.

As I plopped down on the couch, I was attacked by my Yorkie. "Mommy's baby, how you been?" I said playfully scratching her ears. "Did you miss me?"

I grabbed the remote and flipped on the TV that hung above my small fireplace

I grabbed the remote and flipped on the TV that hung above my small fireplace. I made my way to my kitchen. I'd been living on my own ever since I started college my freshman year.  Financing my apartment was sorta a present from my parents. They didn't like the idea of traditional dorms for their baby girl, so as an alternative I was given a small living space of my own.

"I don't mean to sound hysterical.. but baby if you left, baby if you left it open" Jhene Aiko and Big Sean played from the Apple Speaker as soon as I turned it on. I loved this song.

"Guess I'll start dinner huh princess?"

As I flipped through a cookbook, I found a recipe named "garlic Parmesan chicken and noodles". Weeks ago, I had decided I wanted to pick up a new hobby. I let my mother convince me that cooking would be best... considering it would be useful for when I had a family of my own. She always found ways of hinting that I needed to find someone to settle down with.

Growing up she definitely did cooking more than often, making my favorite dishes; Broccoli Casserole, Steak and Potatoes, and Chicken Alfredo. She always told me "the best way to a mans heart is through his stomach". In my case, a woman

Me and my mom are close knit.  Mainly because I didn't grow up with a lot of girls, but mostly because I am A Lot like her.  Taking genes from more than just her appearance.  I like to think I got my work ethnic and determination honest... all from her.

I began washing my hands before I heard my phone ringing. I ignored it, figuring that it was nobody I wanted to talk to. I had come to a conclusion that on the days that I was able to actually spend time at home that I would do just that with no distractions.

I worked on gathering my needed ingredients until I heard the chiming again. Stubbornly, I grabbed my phone and stared at the screen.  I couldn't stop smiling when I read the caller I.D. "Dori" I mumbled to myself. I knew we would eventually talk but I didn't know it would this soon, figuring I would be the one to initiate conversation.

I flattened my hair and batted my lashes, letting the phone ring just a little longer before I answered. I was excited... But more interested in what she would say.

"Hello" I said trying not to sound as happy as I was.

"Do you like pizza?"

An uncontrollable smile spread across my face. Her voice made me melt. I must've loved pizza even more now. I glanced at the small cluster of ingredients I had managed to retrieve for the meal I was no longer cooking.